HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:Newland Independent Chapel, Newland Chambers, Newland, Lincoln
HER Number:70417
Type of record:Building

Summary

Newland Independent Congregationalist Chapel, Newland Chambers, Newland, Lincoln

Grid Reference:SK 973 712
Map Sheet:SK97SE
Parish:CARHOLME, LINCOLN, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

PRN 70417
The chapel was built in 1840 By James Fenton of Chelmsford. It is constructed in grey brick with stone dressings and has a hipped and gabled slate roof with iron finials. Stylistically it is Early English, with a stepped string course, machiolated eaves, shouldered coped south gable, clasping pilasters and buttresses. For the full description and the legal address of this listed building please refer to the appropriate List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. {1}
The first chapel in Newland was erected in November 1840. It was a separate and entire building used exclusively as a place of worship. The chapel had a maximum congregation of around 300 people. {2}
Continuous religious worship and practice, including Baptism and Communion, is well documented between the period 1841 to 1972. {3}
The building first appears on the Padley map of 1842. {4}
The chapel of 1840 is of brick and slate with a gabled front of yellow brick added in c.1876. The earlier front, with three graduated lancets in the centre, and side bays with gabled porches and paired lancets above, was the work of James Fenton. In 1876 a larger chapel was built alongside to the designs of Bellamy and Hardy of Lincoln (PRN 70418) and the former building converted for use as a ‘commodious lecture hall and classrooms, answering alike for school purposes, tea meetings, etc’.{5}
The 1840 building is in the Gothic style (much like the 1876 building), but constructed in grey brick not stone, has lancets not tracery, and a general Georgian plainness. There is a three-bay entrance loggia. {6}


<1> Department of Culture, Media and Sport, Dec 1999, Revised List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 1941-1/11/285 269.472 (Index). SLI5854.

<2> R.W. Ambler, 1979, Lincolnshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship, 1851, p111 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI7745.

<3> Lincolnshire Archives, 1993, Chapel records for Newland Independent Chapel, Newland, Lincoln, 85/081;00 CONGRE (Unpublished Document). SLI10008.

<4> D.R. Mills and R.C. Wheeler, 2004, Historic Town Plans of Lincoln 1610 - 1920, 1842:7, p50 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI9996.

<5> Stell, Christopher, 2002, Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Eastern England, p215 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI9202.

<6> Nikolaus Pevsner and John Harris, with Nicholas Antram, 1989, Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (Second Edition), p502 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI1062.

<7> Lincolnshire County Council, 2005, GIS layer depicting locations and survival of nonconformist chapels in the City of Lincoln, 70417 (Digital Archive). SLI9994.

Monument Types

  • CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1840 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Events

  • Site visit to the Newland Independent Chapel, Newland, Lincoln

Protected Status

  • Conservation Area
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<1>Index: Department of Culture, Media and Sport. Dec 1999. Revised List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 1941-1/11/285 269.472.
<2>Bibliographic Reference: R.W. Ambler. 1979. Lincolnshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship, 1851. p111.
<3>Unpublished Document: Lincolnshire Archives. 1993. Chapel records for Newland Independent Chapel, Newland, Lincoln. 85/081;00 CONGRE.
<4>Bibliographic Reference: D.R. Mills and R.C. Wheeler. 2004. Historic Town Plans of Lincoln 1610 - 1920. 92. 1842:7, p50.
<5>Bibliographic Reference: Stell, Christopher. 2002. Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Eastern England. p215.
<6>Bibliographic Reference: Nikolaus Pevsner and John Harris, with Nicholas Antram. 1989. Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (Second Edition). p502.
<7>Digital Archive: Lincolnshire County Council. 2005. GIS layer depicting locations and survival of nonconformist chapels in the City of Lincoln. 70417.