HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:Site of RAF South Carlton
HER Number:55300
Type of record:Monument

Summary

Site of RAF South Carlton

Grid Reference:SK 967 764
Map Sheet:SK97NE
Parish:SOUTH CARLTON, WEST LINDSEY, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

PRN 55300
South Carlton was opened in early 1916 for training front-line pilots. Several squadrons passed through the airfield during the First World War and 69 (Australian) Squadron ‘Operta aperta - secrets revealed’ were transferred here in September 1916. The Squadron trained in reconnaissance at South Carlton for 8 months before re-equipping to RE-8 aircraft and departing to Cambrai, France by September 1917.
96 Squadron RFC was formed at South Carlton in September or October 1917 as a training unit but was disbanded in July 1918.
A United States squadron, 43 Aero Squadron, was posted to South Carlton from March to October 1918.
Although the aerodrome was closed down in 1920, several buildings still exist, and are being used as farm stores. The 200 acres (80ha) are today farmed (1984). {1}{2}


<1> Ron N.E. Blake, Mike Hodgson and Bill J. Taylor, 1984, The Airfields of Lincolnshire Since 1912, p162-164 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI10563.

<2> Johnston, Philip Ralph, 2008, RAF-Lincolnshire.info, http://raf-lincolnshire.info/southcarlton/southcarlton.htm (Website). SLI11967.

Monument Types

  • AIRFIELD (Modern - 1915 AD to 1920 AD)
  • MILITARY AIRFIELD (Modern - 1915 AD to 1920 AD)

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic Reference: Ron N.E. Blake, Mike Hodgson and Bill J. Taylor. 1984. The Airfields of Lincolnshire Since 1912. p162-164.
<2>Website: Johnston, Philip Ralph. 2008. RAF-Lincolnshire.info. http://raf-lincolnshire.info. http://raf-lincolnshire.info/southcarlton/southcarlton.htm.