HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:Fleet Baptist Church and associated burial ground, Fleet
HER Number:24026
Type of record:Building

Summary

Fleet Baptist Church and associated burial ground, Fleet

Grid Reference:TF 396 249
Map Sheet:TF32SE
Parish:FLEET, SOUTH HOLLAND, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

PRN 24026
Fleet Baptist Church and associated burial ground as depicted on the Ordnance Survey map of 1905.{1}
Fleet Hargate General Baptist church. The first chapel on this site was built in 1764 for a society which originated at Holbeach in about 1681 as a branch of the Spalding church; the society met at Fleet from 1690 but also held meetings at Lutton and Gedney. The chapel at Fleet was enlarged in 1782, 1803, 1830 and 1842 and was replaced by the present building in 1876; this has a tall three-bay gabled front of brick with stone dressings and tall round arched bays enclosing two tiers of windows. There are several gravemarkers in the burial ground that date to the late 18th and early 19th century.{2}
This is a building identified as of historical interest by the South Holland District Council Local List. It is a good example of this style of building of this period and survives with only a few changes to its original construction. The Sunday School may also be located on this site. {3}
The chapel, Sunday School and burial ground were visited in 2010. The chapel is built of red brick with gault brick and ashlar dressings and the gabled roof has a slate covering. The raised gable has stone copings and kneelers and a stepped cornice in gault brick. The Sunday School alongside is built in similar style with a front gable of one bay but with the same ornamental features as the chapel. {4}{5}{6}{7}


<1> Ordnance Survey, 1902-06, 25 Inch Ordnance Survey County Series Map - Second Edition, TF42SW (Map). SLI3566.

<2> Stell, Christopher, 2002, Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Eastern England, page 205 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI9202.

<3> South Holland District Council, South Holland Local Listing Document, 5/11 and 5/12 (Unpublished Document). SLI11949.

<4> Lincolnshire County Council, 2004-2009, GIS layer depicting locations and survival of nonconformist chapels, 24026 (Digital Archive). SLI9638.

<5> Ordnance Survey, 1931-1932, 25 Inch Ordnance Survey County Series Map - Third Edition, 135/12 (Map). SLI5667.

<6> William White, 1856, History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition, p826 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI886.

<7> Nikolaus Pevsner and John Harris, with Nicholas Antram, 1989, Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (Second Edition), p281 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI1062.

Monument Types

  • BAPTIST BURIAL GROUND (Post Medieval to Modern - 1764 AD to 2050 AD)
  • CEMETERY (Post Medieval to Modern - 1764 AD to 2050 AD)
  • GENERAL BAPTIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval - 1764 AD to 1876 AD)
  • GRAVE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1764 AD to 2050 AD)
  • GENERAL BAPTIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1876 AD to 2050 AD)
  • SUNDAY SCHOOL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1876 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds

  • GRAVE MARKER (Post Medieval to Modern - 1764 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Events

  • Site visit to nonconformist chapel, Sunday School and burial ground, Fleet Road, Fleet Hargate

Protected Status

  • Conservation Area

Sources and further reading

<1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-06. 25 Inch Ordnance Survey County Series Map - Second Edition. paper. 1:2500. TF42SW.
<2>Bibliographic Reference: Stell, Christopher. 2002. Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Eastern England. page 205.
<3>Unpublished Document: South Holland District Council. South Holland Local Listing Document. 5/11 and 5/12.
<4>Digital Archive: Lincolnshire County Council. 2004-2009. GIS layer depicting locations and survival of nonconformist chapels. 24026.
<5>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1931-1932. 25 Inch Ordnance Survey County Series Map - Third Edition. 1:2500. 135/12.
<6>Bibliographic Reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition. p826.
<7>Bibliographic Reference: Nikolaus Pevsner and John Harris, with Nicholas Antram. 1989. Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (Second Edition). p281.