HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:Former Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Great Hale
HER Number:MLI89934
Type of record:Building

Summary

Former Wesleyan Methodist chapel known as the Epworth Chapel, Great Hale, now a house

Grid Reference:TF 149 428
Map Sheet:TF14SW
Parish:GREAT HALE, NORTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

PRN 64493
A Wesleyan Methodist chapel is shown on the 1905 Ordnance Survey map. {1}
The building is still shown on the current Mapinfo map although it is not labelled as a chapel, suggesting that it is no longer in use as a chapel and has probably been converted into a house. {2}
This chapel was built in 1851, however it is described as being 'rebuilt' at this time so presumably there was an earlier chapel on the same site. {3}

The site was visited in 2009. The first Wesleyan Chapel in Great Hale was built in 1824 and rebuilt in 1851. The extant chapel replaced that chapel in 1901 and had a Sunday School. It was known as the Epworth Chapel and closed in 1982. It is now in use as a house. It is a gabled building of red brick with ashlar dressings and a roof covering of modern tiles. The raised gables have stone copings and kneelers and stone finials on the apex. The front gable elevation has three bays with a central gabled porch, which has a raised gable, and paired doors under a pointed arch with ashlar dressings and moulded hoodmould with 'Wesleyan 1901 Church' inscribed on the arch. It is flanked by lancet windows with ashlar arches and hoodmoulds, leaded stained glass, and cusped heads. A circular window in the gable above has quatrefoil tracery and an ashlar border and moulded ashlar hoodmould and plinth. The side elevations have pairs of pointed windows with stone dressings and leaded stained glass with floral motifs and cusped heads and the rear gable elevation has two pointed lancet windows. There is a gabled extension to the west with flat-headed windows which probably represents the Sunday School. The railings survive. Velux windows have been inserted in the roof. There are ashlar foundation stones.{4}{5}{6}


<1> Ordnance Survey, 1902-06, 25 Inch Ordnance Survey County Series Map - Second Edition, 107/14 (Map). SLI3566.

<2> Ordnance Survey, 2002, Land-Line Digital Map, TF 14 SW (Map). SLI8729.

<3> William White, 1856, History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition, p 541 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI886.

<4> R.W. Ambler, 1979, Lincolnshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship, 1851, page 67 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI7745.

<5> Lincolnshire County Council, 2009, Lincolnshire Archives - Methodist Records, Great Hale, Church Walk, Epworth Chapel (Website). SLI12339.

<6> Lincolnshire County Council, 2004-2009, GIS layer depicting locations and survival of nonconformist chapels, 64493 (Digital Archive). SLI9638.

Monument Types

  • SUNDAY SCHOOL (Early 20th Century to Late 20th Century - 1901 AD to 1982 AD)
  • WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Early 20th Century to Late 20th Century - 1901 AD to 1982 AD)
  • HOUSE (Late 20th Century to 21st Century - 1982 AD? to 2050 AD)

Associated Events

  • Site visit to former nonconformist chapel and Sunday School, Church Walk, Great Hale

Sources and further reading

<1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-06. 25 Inch Ordnance Survey County Series Map - Second Edition. paper. 1:2500. 107/14.
<2>Map: Ordnance Survey. 2002. Land-Line Digital Map. Digital. Digital. 1:2500. TF 14 SW.
<3>Bibliographic Reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition. p 541.
<4>Bibliographic Reference: R.W. Ambler. 1979. Lincolnshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship, 1851. page 67.
<5>Website: Lincolnshire County Council. 2009. Lincolnshire Archives - Methodist Records. http://microsites.lincolnshire.gov.uk/archives/. Great Hale, Church Walk, Epworth Chapel.
<6>Digital Archive: Lincolnshire County Council. 2004-2009. GIS layer depicting locations and survival of nonconformist chapels. 64493.