HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:Independent chapel, 5 Chapel Lane, Helpringham
HER Number:MLI90036
Type of record:Building

Summary

Former Independent chapel, Helpringham, now a house

Grid Reference:TF 138 408
Map Sheet:TF14SW
Parish:HELPRINGHAM, NORTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

PRN 64556
A chapel is shown on the 1905 O.S. map. However, it is not clear which of two buildings it refers to. {1}
White's 'Directory' mentions three chapels in Helpringham - a Primitive Methodist chapel (PRN 64555), a Baptist chapel and an Independent chapel founded in 1846 by Robert Cook. However, only two chapels, one of which is the Primitive one, are shown on the 1905 map. It is not clear which one this building represents. Presumably the third chapel had been demolished by 1905. {1}{2}
The building appears to still exist, although this is not clear. It is not labelled as a chapel so presumably it has been converted to a new function. {3}

The site was visited in 2009. The surviving chapel is the Independent chapel of 1846 which has been converted to a house. It was a Bethel Independent Chapel which was private property and not part of the Lincolnshire Association. In the 1970s it was derelict and was converted to a house (personal communication). It is built of red brick and has a gabled roof with slate covering. The broad front has four bays, though it may have been extended to the south by one bay. The flat-headed doorway forms the third bay and has a rectangular tablet above 'Bethel Chapel 1846' with scallops in the corner and a text. The segmental-headed windows have been replaced in plastic. A modern flat-roofed extension has been added behind.{4}{5}


<1> Ordnance Survey, 1902-06, 25 Inch Ordnance Survey County Series Map - Second Edition, 116/1 (Map). SLI3566.

<2> William White, 1856, History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition, p 546 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI886.

<3> Ordnance Survey, 2002, Land-Line Digital Map, TF 14 SW (Map). SLI8729.

<4> R.W. Ambler, 1979, Lincolnshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship, 1851, page 68 (Bibliographic Reference). SLI7745.

<5> Lincolnshire County Council, 2004-2009, GIS layer depicting locations and survival of nonconformist chapels, 64556 (Digital Archive). SLI9638.

Monument Types

  • NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Late 20th Century - 1846 AD to 1973 AD?)
  • HOUSE (Late 20th Century to 21st Century - 1973 AD? to 2050 AD)

Associated Events

  • Site visit to nonconformist chapel, Chapel Lane, Helpringham

Protected Status

  • Conservation Area

Sources and further reading

<1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-06. 25 Inch Ordnance Survey County Series Map - Second Edition. paper. 1:2500. 116/1.
<2>Bibliographic Reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition. p 546.
<3>Map: Ordnance Survey. 2002. Land-Line Digital Map. Digital. Digital. 1:2500. TF 14 SW.
<4>Bibliographic Reference: R.W. Ambler. 1979. Lincolnshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship, 1851. page 68.
<5>Digital Archive: Lincolnshire County Council. 2004-2009. GIS layer depicting locations and survival of nonconformist chapels. 64556.