HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:Southgate Congregational chapel, Sleaford
HER Number:65326
Type of record:Building

Summary

Southgate Congregational chapel, Sleaford, now known as Sleaford Riverside Church

Images

Southgate Congregational chapel  © Lincolnshire County Council

Southgate Congregational chapel © Lincolnshire County Council

Congregational chapel, Southgate, Sleaford  © Lincolnshire County Council

Congregational chapel, Southgate, Sleaford © Lincolnshire County Council

Congregational chapel, Southgate, Sleaford  © Lincolnshire County Council

Congregational chapel, Southgate, Sleaford © Lincolnshire County Council

Congregational chapel, Southgate, Sleaford  © Lincolnshire County Council

Congregational chapel, Southgate, Sleaford © Lincolnshire County Council

Congregational chapel, Southgate, Sleaford  © Lincolnshire County Council

Congregational chapel, Southgate, Sleaford © Lincolnshire County Council

Congregational chapel, Southgate, Sleaford  © Lincolnshire County Council

Congregational chapel, Southgate, Sleaford © Lincolnshire County Council

Southgate Congregational chapel, Sleaford  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Southgate Congregational chapel, Sleaford © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Southgate Congregational chapel, Sleaford  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Southgate Congregational chapel, Sleaford © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Southgate Congregational chapel, Sleaford  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Southgate Congregational chapel, Sleaford © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Southgate Congregational chapel, Sleaford  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Southgate Congregational chapel, Sleaford © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Southgate Congregational chapel, Sleaford  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Southgate Congregational chapel, Sleaford © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Southgate Congregational chapel, Sleaford  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Southgate Congregational chapel, Sleaford © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Grid Reference:TF 067 457
Map Sheet:TF04NE
Parish:SLEAFORD, NORTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

PRN 65326
This Congregational chapel was built in 1867-8 to replace a meeting house in Hen Lane built in 1776 which had only been approachable via a plank over a stream of water. It is plain Gothic in design, by W.G. Henderson and Pite, and built of stone with slate roof. {1}

The site was visited in 2009. The chapel was built in 1867-8 by Habershon and Pite as successor to the meeting house in Hen Lane, now Jermyn Street (PRN 65623). In 1972 it became Sleaford United Reform Church. The chapel is built of rock-faced stone and has a 3-bay front with nave and aisles. Originally it had twin gabled porches but the front gable is now covered by a modern annexe added in 2007. Above is a 3-light gothic window with tracery and a small trefoil opening above in the gable. The central raised gable has stone copings with crockets and is surmounted by a finial. Terminal stone pinnacles are attached to the raised central gable by flying buttresses. The clerestorey is formed by a continuous row of trefoils. The side elevations have five bays of paired windows, with cusped heads, separated by stepped buttresses. The polygonal "east" end is actually to the west. The attached building to the rear, with 3-light Gothic traceried windows, probably represents a schoolroom.{4}{5}


<1> Stell, Christopher, 2002, Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Eastern England, p 222, no. 222 (Bibliographic reference). SLI9202.


<2> Pevsner, N. and Harris, J., with Antram, N., 1989, Buildings of England (Second Edition), p 653 (Bibliographic reference). SLI1062.


<3> Trollope, Edward, 1872, Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln, p 168 (Bibliographic reference). SLI920.


<4> Ordnance Survey, 1970, 1:10000 Ordnance Survey Series Map, TF 04 NE (Map). SLI3614.


<5> Lincolnshire County Council, 2004-2009, GIS layer depicting locations and survival of nonconformist chapels, 65326 (Digital archive). SLI9638.

Monument Types

  • CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1867 AD to 1972 AD)
  • UNITED REFORMED CHURCH (Modern - 1972 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Events

  • Site visit to nonconformist chapel, Southgate, Sleaford

Protected Status

  • Conservation Area

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic reference: Stell, Christopher. 2002. Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Eastern England. p 222, no. 222.
<2>Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. and Harris, J., with Antram, N.. 1989. Buildings of England (Second Edition). Lincolnshire. p 653.
<3>Bibliographic reference: Trollope, Edward. 1872. Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln. p 168.
<4>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1970. 1:10000 Ordnance Survey Series Map. 1:10000. TF 04 NE.
<5>Digital archive: Lincolnshire County Council. 2004-2009. GIS layer depicting locations and survival of nonconformist chapels. 65326.