HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Nottinghamshire HER Result
Nottinghamshire HERPrintable version | About Nottinghamshire HER

For important guidance on the use of this record, please click here

Provide feedback for this record

Name:SOUTHWELL MINSTER; CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
HER Number:M3148
Type of record:Building
Map:Show location on Streetmap

Summary - not yet available

Monument Types

  • MINSTER (from 956, Early Medieval to Modern - 956 AD to 2000 AD)

Associated Events

  • Timber sampling at Southwell Minster, Southwell

Protected Status

  • Listed Building (I) 3.70.52: MINSTER CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN & CHAPTER HOUSE

Full description

Plenty of legends about the foundation and early history of the minster exist. The first date which can be accepted as probable is 956 for the grant of the Manor of Southwell with much land around by Eadwig, King of the English, to Oskytel, Archbishop of York. According to a report of 1853 some late Saxon carved stones were reused in rebuilding the central piers (The dating cannot now be verified). The Norman building began about 1108 under Archbishop Thomas of York. The façade, nave, crossing, crossing tower and transepts date from 1108 – 1233. In 1108-14 it became the mother church of the county and was obviously one of the major churches in the province of York. Its chapter was after 1171, except for occasional visitations, entirely independent of York. The present church has an Early English choir and chancel (1234 - 41) and chapter house (c.1288). Claims of a tessellated pavement in the crossing being Ro are dismissed by Daniels. The pavement is in poor condition, and is more in sympathy with the church construction than the nearby Ro finds. (1)
Tessellated pavement, found on the w side of the s transept. Saxon according to Dr Ralegh, Radford, and possibly part of the paving of a transept of the pre-Norman church. (2).
A secular college existed from c 956 to 1548. The present church has an outstanding Norman nave and crossing, with an Early English choir. Now known as St Mary's Minster, it assumed cathedral status in 1888. (3) (4)
A total of 19 samples were collected from the site in 1995 (16 cores and 3 graticule readings). Samples of reused timbers of the roof of the North Chancel Aisle indicate a felling date of spring 1716. The samples from the misericords produced a suggested felling date of 1325 – 1350. Samples from the “Bread Pews” did not date with satisfactory consistency. (5)
See L8443 ring, M3068 Bishop's Palace, M3069 Ro villa, L9881 Saxon phase, L3148 Norman C12th phase, L9887 Early English choir & chancel, L9888 Chapter house.


Listed buildings slides, 118 slides (Photograph). SNT2648.


<1> Pevsner N, 1979, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire 2nd ed., p 319 (Monograph). SNT4.


<2> Thoroton Society, 1966, TTS, p 15 (Published document). SNT379.


<3> Knowles D and Hadcock N, 1953, Medieval Religious Houses, p 342 (Published document). SNT869.


<4> British Archaeological Assoc, 1933, JBAA, pp 73-83 (Published document). SNT196.


<5> Nottingham Tree Ring Dating Laboratory, 1995, Southwell Minster, Southwell - Dendro Report (Unpublished document). SNT5120.

Related records

L9888Parent of: EARLY ENGLISH CHAPTER HOUSE AT SOUTHWELL MINSTER (Element)
L9887Parent of: EARLY ENGLISH CHOIR & CHANCEL AT SOUTHWELL MINSTER (Element)
L3148Parent of: NORMAN C12th PHASE AT SOUTHWELL MINSTER (Element)
L9881Parent of: SAXON PHASE AT SOUTHWELL MINSTER (Element)
L9889Parent of: TESSELATED PAVEMENT AT SOUTHWELL MINSTER (Element)