HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Nottinghamshire HER Result
Nottinghamshire HERPrintable version | About Nottinghamshire HER

For important guidance on the use of this record, please click here

Provide feedback for this record

Name:Beeston Lodge, Mansfield Woodhouse
HER Number:M4005
Type of record:Monument
Map:Show location on Streetmap

Summary - not yet available

Monument Types

  • HUNTING LODGE? (Med, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1546 AD)

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument 57: Beeston Lodge

Full description

Promontory site, steep escarpment on NW, W and SW sides. Well defined vallum 10ft at deepest place, running on SW side round E side to N for 57yds (N-E) and about 50yds (E-W). On the inside is a bank with foundations of thick stone wall, with 10ft of wall, 6ft thick and 10ft high at N end. Wall is made of rough stone and mortar exactly similar to that of King John's Palace at Clipstone, nearby. There are signs of a road or track on the W side of the escarpment ascending in a semi-spiral from left to right. (1)
The sole extant remains at this site consist of a pile of broken masonry containing no archaeological dating material. The whole is thickly overgrown by grass and bushes and is situated on an island surrounded by plough. Isolated fragments of roofing tile and building stone can be seen in the field edge. No local information was gained regarding the history of this building. (2)
Beeston Lodge ceased to exist by the mid C19 as indicated by maps of that period, but is shown, though not named, on Senior's map of 1630. The lodge may have originated as the gatehouse of Clipstone "peel". From the later C14 references are made to a lodge in Clipstone Park, and these may refer to Beeston Lodge; by that time most parks had a lodge. The close proximity of the King's Manor would make it unnecessary to build one at Clipstone. The lodge may possibly have derived its name from one of its tenants. (The "peel" was constructed prior to January 1317 - an enclosure including gatehouse, hall, royal chamber, chapel, bakehouse, grange and animal sheds. Robert de Clipstone ordered to remove all except gatehouse in January 1328.) (3)
Very overgrown, walls badly damaged. Needs another visit when vegetation lower. (4)
Site owner reports that excavations were carried out between the wars by Thoroton Soc. Taken over during WW2 by Home Guard, who dug trenches. Land levelled by Min of Agric 1942 (though 1968 APs show enclosure ditch at least). (5)
Named 'Beeston Lodge Hill'. (6)

<1> DOE, 1954, AM7 (Unpublished document). SNT58.

<2> Colquhoun FD, 1974, Pers Comm (Personal comment). SNT582.

<3> Thoroton Society, 1976, TTS, p 35-46 (Published document). SNT389.

<4> Samuels JR, 1986, AM107 (Unpublished document). SNT1231.

<5> Bishop MW, 1989, Comment on Beeston Lodge - no report (Personal comment). SNT490.

<6> Sanderson G, 1835, 20 miles around Mansfield - 2 in (Map). SNT48.

Related records

L9128Parent of: Beeston Lodge, Mansfield Woodhouse - documentary reference (Element)
L4005Parent of: Beeston Lodge, Mansfield Woodhouse - Earthworks (Element)