HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > North Yorkshire HER Result
North Yorkshire HERPrintable version | About North Yorkshire HER | Visit North Yorkshire HER online...

North Yorkshire Council logo

Any questions? Try here first

Name:Manor Garth House Complex, Rest Park, Sherburn in Elmet
NY SMR Number:MNY10304
Type of record:Monument
Last edited:Feb 6 2019 4:07PM

Protected Status

  • SHINE: Site of Manor Garth, the Archbishop of York's Medieval Manor House, at Rest it is A double moated site, visible as cropmarks on air photgraphs
Grid Reference:SE 542 336
Parish:Sherburn-in-Elmet [8058]; Selby

Monument Type(s):

  • CHAPEL (13th CENTURY to 15tH CENTURY - 1201 AD? to 1500 AD?)
  • COURTYARD (13th CENTURY to 15tH CENTURY - 1201 AD? to 1500 AD?)
  • FORTIFIED MANOR HOUSE (13th CENTURY to 15tH CENTURY - 1201 AD? to 1500 AD?)
  • GARDEROBE (13th CENTURY to 15tH CENTURY - 1201 AD? to 1500 AD?)
  • OVEN? (13th CENTURY to 15tH CENTURY - 1201 AD? to 1500 AD?)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING? (13th CENTURY to 15tH CENTURY - 1201 AD? to 1500 AD?)
  • TOWER (13th CENTURY to 15tH CENTURY - 1201 AD? to 1500 AD?)
  • UNDERCROFT? (13th CENTURY to 15tH CENTURY - 1201 AD? to 1500 AD?)

Associated Finds

  • SHERD (13th CENTURY to 14th CENTURY - 1201 AD? to 1400 AD?)
  • SHERD (13th CENTURY to 14th CENTURY - 1201 AD? to 1400 AD?)
  • VESSEL (13th CENTURY to 14th CENTURY - 1201 AD? to 1400 AD?)
  • PAINTED GLASS (WINDOW) (14th CENTURY to 15tH CENTURY - 1301 AD? to 1500 AD?)

Other References/Statuses

Full description

Designed as a courtyard building it comprised 3 ranges of rooms and a probable chapel in its later phases. The west, east and south ranges are contemporary with a later addition of a tower to the west range. The courtyard was originally laid with cobbles, later with edge-set stones in elaborate patterns.
West range is presumed to have been the public rooms. Footings of roughly dressed limestone with rubble core with upper courses of ashlar. A bonded cross-wall divided the range into 2 rooms. A single limestone 0.6 metre block roof support suggests this was an undercroft. External staircases. Flagged floor?
The remains of what was probably a tower were recorded, since the circa 2 metre wide foundation was intended to carry considerable weight. This is likely to have been the fortlettum of 1382 crenellation licence. It may have had a brick and plaster top storey as pieces of this were found nearby in the courtyard.
The presence of a carefully flattened sill wall in the south range suggests that the range was half-timbered. The external perimeter wall - a later addition - was probably added at the same time as the moats were constructed. Entry to the courtyard was probably through the cobbled area at the west end of the range.
The east range is presumed by the excavator to have contained the private apartments of the archbishop.this is suggested both by its distance from the inner moat bridge and the probable garderobes built into the eastern perimeter wall of the building range.
A number of fragments of tooled stone were found in the north east corner of the chapel.
A complex of oven/kiln structures whose relationship to the main building is not known. One phase seems to have been a domestic oven represented by a base of burnt stones. Later phases contained a considerable amount of lime in the filling. At the mouth of the southern one a half - inch level of lime extended in front of the mouth. Its relationship to the main building phases is unknown. May have been used for some industrial purpose or corn drying?
Excavated By: JLP (1963)
Form: Earthwork, Excavated Site (1-4)

An article discussing the licences granted to crenellate in Yorkshire was included in Medieval Yorkshire in 2017. Rest Park is listed in the gazeteer with the date of the licence as 13th November 1383. (Davis, P) (5) Further information can be found on the website for the Gatehouse Gazeteer. The house was destroyed and" the pottery compares very closely with that from the Dissolution levels of local monasteries. The house is known to have been occupied in 1528, but after demolition the site was completely deserted and reverted to woodland." (Davis, P) (6)

<1> Ordnance Survey, Various, Ordnance Survey Record Card, SE53SW001 (Card Index). SNY1.

<2> Yorkshire Archaeological Society, 1977 - 1980, Yorkshire Studies Card, SE53SW 2198 (Card Index). SNY2.

<3> Archive (Archive). SNY155.

<4> 1882, THE HISTORY OF THE PARISHES OF SHERBURN AND CAWOOD, PP 131-135 251 (Monograph). SNY2150.

<5> Medieval Yorkshire, 2017, Yorkshire Licences to Crenellate, p38 (Article). SNY22629.

<6> Philip Davis, The Gatehouse Gazeteer (Webpage). SNY22630.

Sources and further reading

<1>SNY1 - Card Index: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Record Card. Various authors. SE53SW001.
<2>SNY2 - Card Index: Yorkshire Archaeological Society. 1977 - 1980. Yorkshire Studies Card. SE53SW 2198.
<3>SNY155 - Archive: Archive.
<4>SNY2150 - Monograph: 1882. THE HISTORY OF THE PARISHES OF SHERBURN AND CAWOOD. Wheater, W. Partial Photocopy p77-125. PP 131-135 251.
<5>SNY22629 - Article: Medieval Yorkshire. 2017. Yorkshire Licences to Crenellate. Davis, P. p38.
<6>SNY22630 - Webpage: Philip Davis. The Gatehouse Gazeteer. Davis, P.

Provide feedback for this record