HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > North Yorkshire HER Result
North Yorkshire HERPrintable version | About North Yorkshire HER | Visit North Yorkshire HER online...

North Yorkshire Council logo

Any questions? Try here first

Name:HALL GARTH
NY SMR Number:MNY9969
Type of record:Monument
Last edited:Oct 4 2017 2:19PM
Grid Reference:SE 587 257
Parish:Chapel Haddlesey [8030]; Selby

Monument Type(s):

  • MOAT (13th CENTURY to 15tH CENTURY - 1201 AD to 1500 AD)

Other References/Statuses

Full description

SITUATED ON THE NORTH BANK OF THE RIVER AIRE THE MOAT WAS FED BY THE RIVER AND AS THERE WAS NO CAUSEWAY IT IS PRESUMED THAT ACCESS TO THE HALL WAS BY BOAT. AT THE SW CORNER WAS A HARBOUR WITH RIVER ACCESS. THE HALL WENT THROUGH 3 BUILDING PHASES IN THE 13TH - 15TH CENTURIES. MOAT:TYPE A2(D) Excavated by: JLP (1964) Form: Earthwork, Soilmark (06/1984) (1 - 9)
Information about East Haddlesey and the moated site is included in a book published in 2010.(10)

A double moated site beside the river Aire was excavated by Mrs. J. Le Patourel for M.P.B.W. The inner island (360 ft. by 2IO ft.) was roughly rectangular with the principal buildings concentrated in its W. half. No trace of building was found in the area between the moats. The site was deserted by the middle of the 16th century. In its final form the house consisted of buildings extending around, and beyond, three sides of a small courtyard. To the W. were bakehouses and other service buildings; to the N. a residential wing. On the E. a light wall joined the N. wing to the kitchens of the main block, which itself extended S. of the hall, with central hearth and screens, lying beyond the courtyard area. Brick, timber and limestone were used in wall construction; the roof was tiled. An isolated brick and timber house (85 ft. by 20 ft.) followed the moat edge in the extreme E. corner of the island. From the main bridge with its small adjoining gatehouse a cobbled road led from the SE. moat to an entrance at the N. end of the hall. An earlier, larger hall lay beneath the latest one and earlier prototypes beneath the courtyard buildings. In this middle phase, construction was of timber on low limestone walls roofed with thin limestone slabs. The kitchen, with its five superimposed hearths, was common to both periods. The earliest house, entirely of timber and without roofing-tiles, lay on the same axis as, but N. of, the later hall. Of this, two buildings were excavated and portions of others observed, all earlier than the inner moat. Pottery finds suggest they were destroyed early in the 13th century (8).

A geophysical survey identified anomalies thought to be associated with the Manor and Moat of Hall Garth. (11)

Sources and further reading

<1>SNY150 - Archive: Archive.
<AP1>SNY6626 - Aerial Photograph: Peter Addyman. 01/01/76. Aerial Photograph.
<2>SNY2 - Card Index: Yorkshire Archaeological Society. 1977 - 1980. Yorkshire Studies Card. SE52NE 2030.
<AP2>SNY6625 - Aerial Photograph: Peter Addyman. 01/01/76. Aerial Photograph.
<3>SNY1 - Card Index: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Record Card. Various authors. SE52NE002 .
<AP3>SNY6624 - Aerial Photograph: Peter Addyman. 01/01/76. Aerial Photograph.
<4>SNY2177 - Serial: Yorkshire Archaeological Society. 1884. Yorkshire Archaeological Journal. p 87; 114.
<AP4>SNY6623 - Aerial Photograph: Peter Addyman. 01/01/76. Aerial Photograph.
<5>SNY2223 - Article: Yorkshire Archaeological Journal. 1965. Yorkshire Archaeological Register 1964. Ramm, H G. p 319 - 320.
<AP5>SNY2472 - Aerial Photograph: Anthony Crawshaw. 05/06/84. Aerial Photograph. Colour print. 35mm.
<6>SNY1682 - Monograph: Society for Medieval Archaeology Monograph Series. 1973. THE MOATED SITES OF YORKSHIRE. LE PATOUREL, H E J. PP23-36 71-82 83 87-8 89-91 93 95 96 114..
<7>SNY2132 - Monograph: 1912. Victoria County History Yorkshire Vol 2. P47-8 PLAN.
<8>SNY1752 - Article: Medieval Archaeology. 1965. Medieval Britain in 1964. Wilson, D M; Hurst, D G. PP206-7 ILLUS.
<9>SNY1431 - Serial: 1964. DAILY TELEGRAPH.
<10>SNY20006 - Monograph: Henry Farrar. 2010. Sleepy Hollow? The former parish of Birkin including: West Haddlesey, Chapel and East Haddlesey, Temple Hirst, & Hirst Courtney.. FARRAR, H. 2013/09/27.
<11>SNY22222 - Report: AOC Archaeology. 02/2017. Eggborough, Combined Cycle Gas Turbine (CCGT). Archaeological Geophysical Survey. Lawton,J. 2017/04/27.

Provide feedback for this record