HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Oxfordshire Historic Environment Record Result
Oxfordshire Historic Environment RecordPrintable version | About Oxfordshire Historic Environment Record | Visit Oxfordshire Historic Environment Record online...

Oxfordshire HER logo

Please read Important information about Oxfordshire’s Historic Environment Record data on Heritage Gateway



HER Number: 2700
Record Type: Building
Name: Manor House, Paper Mill Lane

Designations

  • Listed Building (II*) 1368808: MANOR HOUSE
Grid Reference: SU 562 882
Parish:SOUTH MORETON, SOUTH OXFORDSHIRE, OXFORDSHIRE

Monument Type(s):

  • MANOR HOUSE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Summary

Probably late C14 with C16 and C18 alterations. Subrectangular moat around manor house with E, W and NE sides visible. This NE side seems to extend past the circular moat around the siege castle.

Associated Monuments

  • None
  • Associated Finds:

  • None
  • Description

    SU5688 SOUTH MORETON PAPER MILL LANE
    17/144 (East side)
    09/04/52 Manor House
    GV II*
    Manor house. Probably late C14, with C16, and C18 alterations. Cruck-framed; red brick with random grey headers to right; render on timber-framing with brick infill to centre; red brick to ground floor left; large timber-framing with angle braces to first floor left; brick infill; recent tile-hanging to cross-gable to left; old plain-tile roof; various brick stacks. Double-ended hall-house. Single storey and attic; 3-window range to centre; 2-storey, one-window cross-wing to right, double-height cross-wing to left. C20 door to left of centre with Gothic glazing bars. Two 4-light leaded casements to centre. 3 raking half-dormers to centre. 3-light wood-mullioned and transomed window of 3 rows to cross-wing to left. Double-leaf French window to left return of right cross-wing. 16-pane unhorned sash to first floor end of right cross-wing. Rear: large timber-framing to left; painted brick infill to ground floor; rendered infill to first floor; painted brick with some timber-framing. C16 wood-mullioned and transomed bay window with side lights to first floor left. Irregular fenestration of casements and raking dormers. Right return; red brick with random grey headers in Flemish bond to left; flint base to right; render to right, probably on timber-framing. 2-storey, 4-window range. Sash door to lean-to roofed porch to centre. Irregular fenestration of 16-pane unhorned sashes except tripartite sash with glazing bars to ground floor right. C20 stairs. King-post roof to left cross-wing with moulded king-post. Jointed cruck construction to centre with wind braces. Open fireplaces to most rooms. Subsidiary bay of large timber-frame to left return with queen-post roof. History: formerly Sandervilie Manor House, held by de Sanderville family from 1199 to 1891. The site is moated.
    (V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.III, 1923, p.499-500).
    Listing NGR: SU5623388284
    (2) Castle not mentioned in any of the written sources, but a map study reveals an enclosure similar in size and shape to that at Brightwell
    (3) House surrounded by moat of unusual shape with remnants of earlier moat. Classified by the earthworks as a siege or counter castle constructed against Wallingford Castle during Stephen's reign; see also PRN 28708/
    4) History of descent of Manor of Sanderville traced from 1066. House includes a former open hall and 2 medieval cross wings at west and east ends, each of a different phase of construction
    5) Spokes photo transferred to Oxon History Centre.
    6) Insufficient information to classify fishpond for MPP but moat has been scored.
    8) Transferred to Oxon History Centre.


    <1> Dept of Environment/DCMS, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, South Oxon List 105: 17/144, p.56 (Index). SOX260.


    <2> Oxford Architectural & Historical Society, Oxoniensia, Vol LVII (1992) pp.175-181 (Serial). SOX284.


    <3> Oxford Architectural & Historical Society, Oxoniensia, Vol LX (1995) pp.257-270 (Serial). SOX284.


    <4> Victoria County History of Berkshire, Vol 1, p.270; Vol 3 (1923) pp.499-502 (Serial). SOX6.


    <5> Photographic Archive, 1, possibly of medieval door ; P S Spokes (1945) (Photograph). SOX304.


    <6> MPP Documents for Oxfordshire, S Lisk, 16.6.93 (Index). SOX259.


    <7> NMR Monument - Long Listing Filed in Detailed Record File, SU 58 NE 24 (Index). SOX391.


    <8> English Heritage (RCHME), 1987-1989, Historic Buildings Photographic Record Card (Photograph). SOX2063.

    Sources

    <1>Dept of Environment/DCMS. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. South Oxon List 105: 17/144, p.56. [Index / SOX260]
    <2>Oxford Architectural & Historical Society. Oxoniensia. Vol LVII (1992) pp.175-181. [Serial / SOX284]
    <3>Oxford Architectural & Historical Society. Oxoniensia. Vol LX (1995) pp.257-270. [Serial / SOX284]
    <4>Victoria County History of Berkshire. Vol 1, p.270; Vol 3 (1923) pp.499-502. [Serial / SOX6]
    <5>Photographic Archive. 1, possibly of medieval door ; P S Spokes (1945). [Photograph / SOX304]
    <6>MPP Documents for Oxfordshire. S Lisk, 16.6.93. [Index / SOX259]
    <7>NMR Monument - Long Listing Filed in Detailed Record File. SU 58 NE 24. [Index / SOX391]
    <8>English Heritage (RCHME). 1987-1989. Historic Buildings Photographic Record Card. print. [Photograph / SOX2063]