HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Suffolk HER Result
Suffolk HERPrintable version | About Suffolk HER | Visit Suffolk HER online...

Suffolk HER Number (Pref. Ref.):HWS 001
Unique number (MonUID):MSF6224
Type of Record:Monument
NGR:TL 842 598


Moat, rectangular, unoccupied, isolated. Scheduled

Monument Types

  • FISHPOND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • PLAQUE (16th century to 17th century - 1501 AD to 1600 AD)

Protected Status



Moat, rectangular, unoccupied, isolated. Site of Hawstead Place and associated fishponds. Water filled moat approx 10 yd wide lined with Tudor bricks. Site entered via a brick bridge on the S side, remains of the springing for which still survive. On the N and E sides there is a substantial outer bank 1-2 yds high; a break, approx 4 yds wide, in the bank on the N side, brick-lined suggests a subsidiary entrance. Nothing now remains above ground of the C16 house built by Robert Drury on the site ofan earlier manor, and considerably altered by his grandson, Sir William, for Queen Elizabeth's visit in 1578, except for a statue of a wildman or Hercules restored and re- erected in 1978. Site and banks covered with trees and vegetation. In the meadow to the S are indications of two demolished ranges of farm buildings and to the SE is a brick-lined pond known to be Drury- period (S1).
To the S of the farm are 5 ponds, also contemporary, now partly silted up with vegetation and rubbish, but still impressive (S1).
Manor of Bokenhams alias Talmages purchased by Roger Drury 1463-4 (S2). His son, Sir Robert Drury, had a licence for a chapel here 1501 and a licence to crenellate his manor 1510 (S3). Description of rooms here in his will, 1531, seems to fit with the description of the house in 1784 by Sir John Cullum (S4). Approach to house was through a Base Court on the S side - slight earthworks still remain (1990) indicating the sites of the S and E ranges; one barn of circa 1470 still remains. Moat lies on N side of Base Court. Courtyard-plan house on western two-thirds of island. Cullum decribes timber-framed building with drawing room, chapel, gate, smoking room, wood closet and dining room in S range (`royal' apartments over the W half); hall, screen and buttery in W range (the rectangular projection on this side might indicate a stair turret), kitchen and `other offices' in the N range.
The E range is described as having a cloister circa 45 ft long iwth views into a flower garden to the E of the house (the arches were later closed up and a parlour was made at one end). The internal courtyard measured 58 ft square. On the N side were two porches and between them stood the figure of a wildman, erected for the visit of Queen Elizabeth in 1578. Whole building was standing in 1730s; a C18 painting of the house shows a `U' shaped house with the S range demolished (S5). Cullum's description, 1784, seems to indicate that only the N range was then standing. This range was finally demolished circa 1827 (S2). Moated site now very overgrown with trees and bushes. Brick revetting (mainly header-bond with some irregular English bond) in poor condition. On the outside edge of the moat is a broad, flat- topped bank with brick revetting at the corners - this is obviously the broad prospect-terrace referred to by Cullum. A brick-lined gap on the N side indicates the site of the rear drawbridge.
TL 8440 6002: Terracotta head, C16, found in ploughed field (S6). House and moat shown on a map of c.1616 (S7)(S8). Moat desilting in October 1997 revealed brick revettment on outer edge of moat. Central pier (brick) for bridge on N side also revealed - thinner & more regular bricks suggest 18th century structure. Similar bricks used in ?repair revetting on N side of moat, near NE corner. Remains of timber stair leading down to the moat found at NE corner. Concentration of late 18/early 19th century pottery found near the site of the bridge across the north side (S9).

Features visible on Lidar. See associated files.


[M1](No record type): SAM file:. (SSF46256)
[S1]Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information. (SSF5242)
[M2]Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: annotated maps, finds report sheets and notes; copy of map in. (SSF50072)
[S2](No record type): Gage J, History of Thingoe, 1838. (SSF6730)
[S3](No record type): Wedgwood J C, History of Parliament, Commons 1509-1558, vol 2, 57 (S4) Cullum Sir J, History and Ant. (SSF22924)
[M3](No record type): (S8). (SSF46258)
[S6](No record type): Powell B, 1990. (SSF16503)
[S7](No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Bury, E8/1/3. (SSF21857)
[S8](No record type): Gage J, History and Antiquities of Suffolk, Thingoe Hundred, 440-445. (SSF6729)
[S9](No record type): SAU, Martin E, 1997. (SSF19405)

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.