HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > South Yorkshire SMR Result
South Yorkshire SMRPrintable version | About South Yorkshire SMR | Visit South Yorkshire SMR online...

Record Details

HER Number:00164/01
Type of record:Monument
Name:Tankersley Hall

Summary

16th century hall, demolished c1730.

Grid Reference:SK 356 988
Map Sheet:SK39NE
Parish:TANKERSLEY, Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Map:Show location on GoogleMaps (to an accuracy of 100m only)

Monument Types:

Associated Finds:

  • None
  • Protected Status:

    • Listed Building (II) 1151073: TANKERSLEY OLD HALL

    Full Description

    <1> Shell of part of 16th century house, most of building demolished in 17th century.

    <2> The ruins of Tankersley Old Hall stand c. 1 km. to the south-east of Tankersley parish church, a little to the east of the centre of the former Tankersley Park. The Park owes its origin to a grant of free Warren to Hugh de Elland, lord of the manor, by Edward I in 1303-4. Later in the 14th century Tankersley passed to the Savile family, who were succeeded in the early 17th century by Thomas Wentworth, Earl of Strafford. The house Was overshadowed by the great family seat of Wentworth Woodhouse, and leased out to the Fanshawes in 1653. Although the park was remodelled in the early 18th century to suit contemporary taste, with artificial lakes and follies, the Old Hall itself fell into disuse and was dismantled in the 1720s and 1730s, its stone and timber being re-used in a number of buildings including the present farmhouse which stands to the west of the single block of the Old Hall which was allowed to survive. Later in the 18th century the park was divided up and both coal'and ironstone mining begun within it.

    The Old Hall has generally been described as a late 16th century house, erected by the Saviles and built, on a previously unoccupied site (Hey 1975, 111). The earlier manor site is conjectured to have been on the north of the parish church, where the rectory, in its present form a 19th century building, stands within an important moated site. Recent investigation of the Old Hall by the County Archaeology Service has shown that the late 16th century house was an enlargement of an earlier structure, almost certainly a late medieval hunting lodge [further information].

    <3> Built between 1560 and 1590 by George Talbot, the 6th Earl of Shrewsbury. Probably a development from the previous medieval hall's hunting lodge. In 1720 comprised a large three or four storey mansion of 6 bays. Dismantled by c1730.

    Sources and further reading

    <1>SSY24 - Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N.. 1967 [1974]. The Buildings of England - Yorkshire (West Riding).. (single volume). (1974) p. 508
    <2>SSY1558 - Unpublished document: PF Ryder. 1984. Report on Tankersley Old Hall.
    <3>SSY2799 - Grey Literature Report: ArcHeritage. 2013. Dearne Valley Landscape Partnership Heritage Audit. Stenton, M., Badcock, A. & Abbott, M.. p23

    Related records

  • None
  • Feedback