HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > South Yorkshire SMR Result
South Yorkshire SMRPrintable version | About South Yorkshire SMR | Visit South Yorkshire SMR online...

Record Details

HER Number:00306/01
Type of record:Building
Name:Campsall Vicarage and Medieval Manor House

Summary

A medieval manor house, used as a rectory and now a private house, at the north end of the village, across the road from St Mary Magdalene parish church (see PIN 00305/01).

Grid Reference:SE 544 141
Map Sheet:SE51SW
Parish:NORTON, Doncaster, South Yorkshire
Map:Show location on GoogleMaps (to an accuracy of 100m only)

Monument Types:

  • MANOR (C15 Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds:

  • None
  • Protected Status:

    • Listed Building (I) 1286761: THE OLD RECTORY

    Full Description

    <1> The house consists of a T plan medieval building (a north-south block with short wings to east and west at its north end), with a late 18th or early 19th century addition on the east side of the main block. The medieval building is constructed of Magnesian Limestone ashlar with a bold chamfered plinth all round, and has been two-storied throughout. The internal arrangements of the house have been much altered, although many original features survive including the roofs of both the hall and the east wing, which housed what was probably a chapel at first floor level, an apartment which retains a good three light east window. [Further information and sketches of features].

    <2> 15th century manor house. Many original features.

    <3> This house, probably of early 15th century date, was examined and recorded by P. F. Ryder of SYCAS and S. H. Jones of Shefflild City Polytechnic. The building is constructed from magnesian limestone ashlar, and consists of a north-south block containing a first-floor hall the doorway of which survives, formerly reached by an external stair - with a cross-wing at its north end. At the east end of the wing is a first-floor chamber traditionally said to have been a chapel, with a fine three light east window. Both hall and chapel retain their original roofs, of an unusual form with collared rafter pairs and principal rafter trusses, which carry both collar and side purlins. The element of security was perhaps a consideration in the construction of a stone first floor hall house at this period and was perhaps prompted by the notorious medieval outlawry Barnsdale Forest, in which Campsall was situated.

    Sources and further reading

    <1>SSY380 - Unpublished document: Ryder, P. F and Jones, S.R.. 1981. Campsall Rectory.
    <2>SSY24 - Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N.. 1967 [1974]. The Buildings of England - Yorkshire (West Riding).. (single volume). 1974 edition p. 156
    <3>SSY1531 - Serial: Yorkshire Archaeological Society. 1982. Yorkshire Archaeological Journal Volume 54. p. 179

    Related records

  • None
  • Feedback