HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > South Yorkshire SMR Result
South Yorkshire SMRPrintable version | About South Yorkshire SMR | Visit South Yorkshire SMR online...

Record Details

HER Number:00347/01
Type of record:Building
Name:Hound Hill medieval manor house


16th and 17th century manor house with towers dating from civil war and a timber-frame east wing.

Grid Reference:SE 337 041
Map Sheet:SE30SW
Parish:BARNSLEY CENTRAL, Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Map:Show location on Streetmap

Monument Type(s):

  • MANOR HOUSE (C16/C17, Post Medieval - 1566 AD to 1644 AD)

Associated Finds:

  • None
  • Protected Status:

    • Listed Building (II*) 1151039: HOUNDHILL

    Full Description

    <1> 16th/17th century house, partly half timbered. Towers probably Civil War fortifications at SE 33660414 & SE 33750413.

    <2> Fortified in 1642 by Richard Elmhirst. Small royalist garrison surrendered to Fairfax in 1643 or 1644.

    References: History of Wosborough (1872) p. 128-9, 131, 146 (J. Wilkinson), Buildings W.R. Yorks 1974 p.270 (Pevsner) * Plan and drawings by J H Dalton in L H Butcher collection, Sheffield City Museum, Doe (LB) 4 December 1986

    <3> Built on an 'H' plan, with a very short hall block and a longer cross-wing at each end. Only the east cross-wing is timber framed. The roofs have king post trusses at the gable ends but simple principal rafter forms within.

    <4> Wing dated 1566 otherwise of two C17 builds, extensively renovated in 1934. Timber-framed wing, otherwise ashlar sandstone, stone slate roof.

    <5> Excavations by the Barnsley Archaeological Society directed by D. Ashurst have exposed the foundations of the worsted weaving and dyeing establishment that was carried on between 1560 and 1620 by two generations of the Elmhirst family at Houndhill. The purpose-built two-storey building was pulled down and grassed over in the 1930s. Finds included various lead loom weights, finishing tools, dye-pot and reed. The building was partially converted to a bakehouse for the garrison billetted there during the civil war.

    <1> South Yorkshire Archaeology Service, c1974-c2003, SMR Card (Unpublished document). SSY213.

    <2> ArcHeritage, 2013, Dearne Valley Landscape Partnership Heritage Audit (Grey Literature Report). SSY2799.

    <3> Ryder, P.F., 1979, Timber Framed Buildings in South Yorkshire., p. 101 (Monograph). SSY20.

    <4> English Heritage, 2010 onwards, Listing Description (Designation Notification). SSY1901.

    <5> Cherry, J., 1972, Post-Medieval Britain in 1971, p. 221 (Article in serial). SSY3238.

    Sources and further reading

    <1>SSY213 - Unpublished document: South Yorkshire Archaeology Service. c1974-c2003. SMR Card. Indexed according to PIN Number.
    <2>SSY2799 - Grey Literature Report: ArcHeritage. 2013. Dearne Valley Landscape Partnership Heritage Audit. Stenton, M., Badcock, A. & Abbott, M..
    <3>SSY20 - Monograph: Ryder, P.F.. 1979. Timber Framed Buildings in South Yorkshire.. County Archaeology Monograph No. 1. p. 101.
    <4>SSY1901 - Designation Notification: English Heritage. 2010 onwards. Listing Description.
    <5>SSY3238 - Article in serial: Cherry, J.. 1972. Post-Medieval Britain in 1971. Post-Medieval Archaeology, Vol. 6, p221-2. p. 221.

    Related records

  • None
  • Feedback