HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > West Berkshire HER Result
West Berkshire HERPrintable version | About West Berkshire HER | Visit West Berkshire HER online...

West Berkshire HER logo

The Historic Environment Record is the primary index about the physical remains of past human activity in the unitary authority of West Berkshire. Not all records are published on the Heritage Gateway. Please read the important guidance on the use of the West Berkshire HER data.



HER Number MWB12440
Record Type Monument
Name SHAW CHURCHYARD - possible Roman cemetery

Grid Reference SU 475 683
Map Sheet SU46NE
Parish Shaw-cum-Donnington, West Berkshire
Map:Show location on Streetmap

Summary

Fragments of Romano-British cinerary urns and glass vessels found in 1878

Associated Legal Designations or Protected Status

  • Conservation Area: Shaw House and St Mary's Church, Shaw

Other Statuses and Cross-References

  • Berkshire SMR No. (pre 2000): 02884.00.000
  • National Monuments Record No.: SU 46 NE 9
    SU 47491 68322

Monument Type(s):

Full Description

The Newbury District Field Club <1> reported that fragments of Romano-British urns and glass vessels were found in the churchyard of St Mary's Shaw in 1878. At least one urn was observed whole but broken later.

St Mary's Church was completely rebuilt in 1841, although an 18th century reference <3> stated that the old church had Roman tiles on its roof. The Ordnance Survey Field Investigator in the 1960s <5> commented that there were no Roman tiles in or around the present church and no other discoveries had been made in recent years.

Sources and further reading

<01>Newbury District Field Club. 1872-75. TRANS NEWBURY DISTRICT FIELD CLUB 1872-75 VOL 2. 2. P263. [Article in serial / SWB10336]
<02>Newbury Weekly News. 18/07/1878. NEWBURY WEEKLY NEWS 1878 JULY 18TH. [Article in serial / SWB11121]
<03>Anon. 1790. BIBLIO. TOPOG. BRIT.. IV, 80. [Monograph / SWB11122]
<04>Betjeman, J and Piper, J (eds). 1949. Murray's Berkshire Architectural Guide. p141. [Monograph / SWB10404]
<05>Ordnance Survey. 1960s-70s. Ordnance Survey Field Investigators Comments. F1 NVQ 10-OCT-63. [Personal observation / SWB14640]
<06>Archaeology Branch of Ordnance Survey & Newbury Museum staff. 1938 onwards. Newbury Museum Archaeology Map XXXV SW.. 35SW. 6 inch. Annotated ' Roman cinerary urns and glass bottles from churchyard'. [Map / SWB11280]
<07>Cannon, P. 1975. Shaw Cemetery. [Graphic material / SWB13293]
<08>Cannon, P. 1994. Written correspondence. [Unpublished document / SWB13294]
<09>Page and Ditchfield (eds). 1924. Victoria County History (VCH) Berks IV 1924. Vol 4. p88. [Monograph / SWB10281]
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/berks/vol4 (Accessed 24/09/2015)

Related Monuments

MWB5022St Mary's Church, Shaw (Building)

Associated Excavations and Fieldwork

  • None recorded