HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > West Berkshire HER Result
West Berkshire HERPrintable version | About West Berkshire HER | Visit West Berkshire HER online...

West Berkshire HER logo

The Historic Environment Record is the primary index about the physical remains of past human activity in the unitary authority of West Berkshire. Not all records are published on the Heritage Gateway. Please read the important guidance on the use of the West Berkshire HER data.



HER Number MWB15814
Record Type Monument
Name Site of Cope Hall
Grid Reference SU 448 654
Map Sheet SU46NW
Parish Enborne, West Berkshire
Map:Show location on Streetmap

Summary

Site of demolished or ruined building known as Cope Hall, probably of medieval origins

Associated Legal Designations or Protected Status

    Monument Type(s):

    • MANOR HOUSE? (15th century to Mid 20th century - Present - 1458 AD to 1960 AD? (pre))
    • COUNTRY HOUSE (Mid to Late 19th century to Mid 20th century - Present - 1851 AD to 1960 AD?)
    • REHABILITATION CENTRE? (First World War to Early 20th century - 1917 AD to 1919 AD)

    Full Description

    The building called Cope Hall is marked on historic Ordnance Survey mapping up until the 5th epoch <1>, and Murray's Guide <2> describes it as a 'Victorianized house of earlier origin'. Some local research has examined post-medieval documentary sources <3><4>. It has been conjectured that Cope Hall might be the site of the original manor house of East Enborne <11>. At one time it was owned by Sandleford Priory, and then St George's Chapel in Windsor before passing to the Craven Estate and then the Sutton Estate <11>.

    Cope Hall was within the area of the First Battle of Newbury, being close to 'Round Hill' where the Parliamentarians placed some guns. Money reports that 'Copped Hall' was mentioned in a terrier of lands held by the town of Newbury in the time of Elizabeth I <5>. A cluster of buildings is shown at the site of Cope Hall on Rocque's 1761 map <6> and Baker's 1775 map of the Manor of Enborne <7>.

    The Victoria County History describes Cope Hall as 'unoccupied' in 1924 <8>, although trade directories list occupants from the 1930s to 1963. The house appears to have been demolished in the early 1960s.

    Cope Hall was used to house the Women’s Training Colony in 1917 which was set up to alleviate social problems within the Home Front heightened by the First World War. The Colony was founded by a group of suffragettes and public health campaigners who had had long campaigned against the double standards governing attitudes and legislation on prostitution, which penalised the woman but left their clients untouched. Dr Helen Wilson, Chairman of the Colony, believed that The First World War had raised the urgency of the problem of prostitution and social problems concerning women, with mass conscript armies making a bad situation worse. The colony recruited ‘women whose lack of character and training renders them ineligible for other institutions’ in order to train them ‘in a sense of responsibility and independence’ as well as ‘perseverance and self-control’, by isolating them and providing work. The WTC was short-lived, closing in 1919 <10>.

    A feature visible on LiDAR imagery at the same location of the Hall may indicate the preservation of some material or foundations on site <12>.

    Sources and further reading

    <01>Ordnance Survey. c. 1960. Ordnance Survey Epoch 5. [Map / SWB14665]
    <02>Betjeman, J and Piper, J (eds). 1949. Murray's Berkshire Architectural Guide. p124. [Monograph / SWB10404]
    <03>Purvis, H. 1993. Notes on the history of Cope Hall. [Unpublished document / SWB13203]
    <04>Fox, N E. 1993. Notes on the history and estate of Cope Hall. [Unpublished document / SWB13202]
    <05>Money, W. 1884. The First and Second Battles of Newbury (2nd ed). p45, 51. [Monograph / SWB12745]
    http://openlibrary.org/books/OL14008014M/The_first_and_second_battles_of_Newbury_and_the_siege_of_Donnington_Castle_during_the_Civil_War_1643 (Accessed 23/09/2013)
    <06>Rocque, J. 1761. Rocque's Map of Berkshire. 1:35,000 (approx). Marked but not named. [Map / SWB7242]
    https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/collection/search/3/collection/700042/rocques-map-of-berkshire (Accessed 12/06/2017)
    <07>Baker, M. 1775. Map of the Manor of Enborne. 5 inches to 1 mile. [Map / SWB147229]
    <08>Page and Ditchfield (eds). 1924. Victoria County History (VCH) Berks IV 1924. Vol 4. p168. [Monograph / SWB10281]
    http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/berks/vol4 (Accessed 24/09/2015)
    <09>Davis, Cornelius. 1849. Davis' Ten Miles round Newbury, 1849. Marked 'Cope Hall'. [Map / SWB13949]
    <10>Shrubsole, G. 2010. The Women's Training Colony. [Unpublished document / SWB148638]
    http://guyshrubsole.wordpress.com/2010/12/ ()
    <11>Stokes, P. 2011. Enborne & Wash Common, an illustrated history. p51-52. [Monograph / SWB148364]
    <12>Environment Agency. 1999-2017. LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) Digital Model. Digital. DTM 2m resolution, Hillshade 5. [Digital archive / SWB148907]

    Related Monuments

    MWB10702Near Cope Hall, Enborne (Find Spot)
    MWB15762Newbury I Battlefield (Landscape)

    Associated Excavations and Fieldwork

  • None recorded