HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > West Berkshire HER Result
West Berkshire HERPrintable version | About West Berkshire HER | Visit West Berkshire HER online...

West Berkshire HER logo

The West Berkshire Historic Environment Record (HER) is the primary index of the physical remains of past human activity in the unitary authority of West Berkshire Council. Limited elements of the West Berkshire HER are available online via the Heritage Gateway, therefore it is not suitable for use in desk-based studies associated with development, planning and land-use changes, and does not meet the requirements of paragraph 194 of the National Planning Policy Framework (2021: 56). Please read the important guidance on the use of the West Berkshire HER data. For these purposes and all other commercial enquiries, please contact the Archaeology team and complete our online HER enquiry form.

This site is designated as being of national importance and is afforded additional protection. Consult West Berkshire Council's Archaeology team if more information or advice is needed.

HER Number MWB15830
Record Type Building
Name Greenham Lodge (renamed Mill Hall)

Grid Reference SU 489 656
Map Sheet SU46NE
Parish Greenham, West Berkshire
Map:Show location on Streetmap


Grade II* listed house, largely built in the late 19th century by architect Norman Shaw for the Baxendale family; used as a school for a period in the 21st century

Associated Legal Designations or Protected Status

  • Listed Building (II*) 1291019: GREENHAM LODGE

Other Statuses and Cross-References

  • National Monuments Record No.: SU 46 NE 153
    SU 4900 6568
  • Old Listed Building Ref (pre 1984) (II): Map No 26 4/36 Greenham Lodge
    1875. By Norman Shaw. Inspired by Shaw House. Elizabethan in style with symmetrical front. Brick with stone dressings, tiled roof and brick stacks. The hall and staircase are impressive. The hall has an enormous chimney piece with overmantel supported on columns.

Monument Type(s):

  • COUNTRY HOUSE? (19th century - 1829 AD (pre) to 1829 AD (pre))
  • COUNTRY HOUSE (Late 19th century - 1878 AD to 1883 AD)
  • OFFICERS MESS (Mid 20th century to Late 20th century - Present - 1954 AD to 1992 AD?)
  • SCHOOL (Late 20th century - Present to Early 21st century - 2001 AD to 2021 AD)

Full Description

Greenham Lodge probably incorporates some of the first Greenham Lodge, built by a previous owner, James Croft prior to 1829, and described as a 'commodious residence' <1>. The 1877 OS map <2> shows a group of buildings named Greenham Lodge that bear little resemblance to the present plan of the main building, but do overlap geographically with it (at the southwest corner of the later Greenham Lodge). However, the Grade II* listed building is largely the creation of Norman Shaw, inspired according to Murray's Guide <3> and Pevsner <4>, by the Elizabethan Shaw House north of Newbury. Franklin <5> lists Greenham Lodge in her catalogue of great country houses: "1878-81 by Norman Shaw for Lloyd Baxendale, partner in Pickford's the carriers. Some old work in the kitchen wing. Shaw's fees £1970." Lloyd Baxendale Senior bought the estate in 1873 and the new house was being built by a local builder Samuel Elliott when he died <7>. His son Lloyd 'Harry' Baxendale inherited the house in 1882; he died in 1937. Samuel Elliott's joinery works in Newbury provided the oak panelling.

The large Greenham Lodge estate was sold just before the Second World War <6>, and it is believed the mansion was used by the RAF during the war. From 1948 to 1953, it was occupied by a Jewish public school, Carmel College. It was used by the USAF during the Cold War period, possibly briefly as a school, but from 1954 as an Officers' Mess. Following the closure of Greenham Common air base, Greenham Lodge became a school again, linked to Mary Hare School for the deaf at Arlington, north of Newbury. Mary Hare had taken over a primary school in Sussex named Mill Hall; when this school was moved to Greenham at the beginning of the 21st century, the name was also transferred to Greenham Lodge. The building also became a venue for weddings in 2006.

West Berkshire Museum has photographs showing the building in around 1910, and in the late 20th century <14>.

Sources and further reading

<00>1950-83. Buildings included in the statutory list of buildings of special architectural or historic interest, pre Review. WBC Network. Map No 26 4/36. [Unpublished document / SWB10875]
<01>Gray, E W (ed)?. pre 1839. The History and Antiquities of Newbury and its Environs. P196. [Monograph / SWB11182]
https://archive.org/details/historyandantiq00unkngoog (Accessed 16/07/2019)
<02>Landmark. 1872-85. Digital Ordnance Survey Mapping Epoch 1, 1:2500 (25 inch). Digital. 1:2500. [Map / SWB14341]
<03>Betjeman, J and Piper, J (eds). 1949. Murray's Berkshire Architectural Guide. p104-5 (Photograph), 127. [Monograph / SWB10404]
<04>Pevsner, N. 1966. The Buildings of England (Berkshire). P149. [Monograph / SWB10024]
<05>Franklin, Jill. 1981. The Gentleman's Country House and its Plan 1835-1914. P164-5,167, 207 261. [Monograph / SWB12925]
<06>n/a. 1938. Sale Catalogue of the Greenham Lodge Estate. Lot 20, Illust. [Unpublished document / SWB13069]
<07>Orr, S. 2000. Greenham & Crookham Commons - Historical Research Commission. [Unpublished document / SWB147472]
<08>Dils, J (ed). 1998. An Historical Atlas of Berkshire. p96-7 Country houses 1750-1900 by Geoffrey Tyack. [Monograph / SWB13916]
<09>Tyack, G, Bradley, S and Pevsner, N. 2010. The Buildings of England (Berkshire). p316-7. [Monograph / SWB147855]
<10>Newbury Town Council. 2009. Newbury Town Council Conservation Area Draft Appraisal - Stroud Green. 2017 WBC Network. [Unpublished document / SWB148255]
<11>Dils, J and Yates, M (ed). 2012. An Historical Atlas of Berkshire (2nd Edition). p120-121, Country Houses 1750-1914 by Geoffrey Tyack. [Monograph / SWB148708]
<12>Page and Ditchfield (eds). 1923. Victoria County History (VCH) Berks III 1923. Vol 3. p312. [Monograph / SWB10005]
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/berks/vol3 (Accessed 08/03/2022)
<13>The Tate. Digitised collections from the Tate Archive. http://www.tate.org.uk/art/archive/collections. Photographs taken by John Piper. [Website / SWB149075]
http://www.tate.org.uk/art/archive/collections (Accessed 15/08/2016)
<14>Museum Curator. Newbury Museum Accession Records (West Berkshire Museum since 1998). 2022 WBC Network. NEBYM:2004.50.395; 2015.6.1046, 1072-4. [Unpublished document / SWB14452]
<15>University College London. 2014. Legacies of British Slave-ownership. https://www.ucl.ac.uk/lbs/. 25/06/2020. https://www.ucl.ac.uk/lbs/person/view/2146663177. [Website / SWB148762]
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/lbs/ (Accessed 07/10/2014)
<16>Wessex Archaeology. 2018. Lesok Cottage, Newbury, Berkshire: Heritage Statement. 210190.02. WBC Network. [Unpublished document / SWB149755]

Related Monuments

MWB19595Greenham Lodge icehouse (Building)
MWB19031Lesok Cottage and Norman Cottage, Greenham (formerly Pilehill Cottages) (Building)
MWB19383Mews Cottage, Greenham (formerly stables for Greenham Lodge) (Building)
MWB17882Newbury Golf Clubhouse (formerly Greenham Lodge laundry) (Building)
MWB19380West Lodge, Greenham (Building)
MWB5026Greenham Village (Monument)
MWB19593Features north of Greenham Common (Monument)
MWB17395Lower Farm, Greenham (Monument)
MWB21984Site of the Albert Works, Albert Road, Newbury, later known as Elliott's (Monument)

Associated Excavations and Fieldwork

  • None recorded