HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > West Berkshire HER Result
West Berkshire HERPrintable version | About West Berkshire HER | Visit West Berkshire HER online...

West Berkshire HER logo

The Historic Environment Record is the primary index about the physical remains of past human activity in the unitary authority of West Berkshire. Not all records are published on the Heritage Gateway. Please read the important guidance on the use of the West Berkshire HER data.



HER Number MWB16449
Record Type Building
Name St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, Newbury

Grid Reference SU 475 676
Map Sheet SU46NE
Parish Newbury, West Berkshire
Map:Show location on Streetmap

Summary

Early 20th century brick church with campanile, built next to a Victorian smaller church

Monument Type(s):

Full Description

The large Roman Catholic church was identified during a historic character study <1><2> as being significant to Newbury but unlisted, and is a local landmark next to the intersection of several roads. Murray's Guide <3> describes the brick church as Neo-Romanesque, with a separate campanile; a statue of Jesus also stands on the roof of the main building. Pevsner <4> calls it, 'inappropriately Early Christian or Byzantine or Italian Romanesque' in style. It was built between 1923-8 by W C Mangan, close to a small red brick church of 1864, still extant. The First Edition Ordnance Survey, 1:500 scale <5> notes that the first St Joseph R C Chapel had seats for 160; the Sacristy and Presbytery are also marked. The old church was built adjoining a Georgian villa, presumably the building used from the start for the priest's accommodation. On 21st century mapping, the old church is named as a hall, but it still forms part of the Catholic church complex. According to the Berkshire religious census, the first St Joseph's church (not a separate building) was licensed in 1830 <7>. Photographs in West Berkshire Museum show the laying of the foundation stone of the new church; and the exterior and interior in the early and late 20th century <9>.

Sources and further reading

<01>Oxford Archaeology. 2006. Newbury Historic Character Study - Assessment Report. OA Job No 2563. pdf online. [Unpublished document / SWB14654]
http://info.westberks.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=30418 (Accessed 25/09/2015)
<02>Oxford Archaeology. 2006. Newbury Historic Character Study - Database and shape files. [Digital archive / SWB14655]
<03>Betjeman, J and Piper, J (eds). 1949. Murray's Berkshire Architectural Guide. p136. [Monograph / SWB10404]
<04>Pevsner, N. 1966. The Buildings of England (Berkshire). p181. [Monograph / SWB10024]
<05>Landmark. 1880-81. Digital OS Mapping Epoch 1, 1:500 - Newbury Town Plan. Digital. 1:500. [Map / SWB146990]
<06>Tyack, G, Bradley, S and Pevsner, N. 2010. The Buildings of England (Berkshire). p394-5. [Monograph / SWB147855]
<07>Tiller, K (ed). 2010. Berkshire Religious Census 1851. p79, No 340. [Monograph / SWB148619]
<08>Page and Ditchfield (eds). 1924. Victoria County History (VCH) Berks IV 1924. Vol 4. p150. [Monograph / SWB10281]
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/berks/vol4 (Accessed 24/09/2015)
<09>Newbury Museum Accession Records (West Berkshire Museum since 1998). NEBYM:1979.72.260; 2000.20.212-3; 2015.6.616-7. [Unpublished document / SWB14452]

Related Monuments

MWB15880Pinewood Estate Brick and Tile Company (Monument)
MWB16698St Joseph's Roman Catholic Presbytery, Newbury (Building)

Associated Excavations and Fieldwork

EWB870Newbury Historic Character Study (NHCS) (Ref: NEWHESCO)