HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > West Berkshire HER Result
West Berkshire HERPrintable version | About West Berkshire HER | Visit West Berkshire HER online...

West Berkshire HER logo

The Historic Environment Record is the primary index about the physical remains of past human activity in the unitary authority of West Berkshire. Not all records are published on the Heritage Gateway. Please read the important guidance on the use of the West Berkshire HER data.



HER Number MWB5396
Record Type Monument
Name In Northbrook Street - Mr Cary's shop

Grid Reference SU 470 675
Map Sheet SU46NE
Parish Newbury, West Berkshire
Map:Show location on Streetmap

Summary

A pile structure found when digging foundations in 1882 for a new building at 47-48 Northbrook Street, Newbury

Associated Legal Designations or Protected Status

  • Conservation Area: Newbury Town Centre

Other Statuses and Cross-References

  • Berkshire SMR No. (pre 2000): 04006.00.000
  • National Monuments Record No.: SU 46 NE 55
    SU 47084 67361

Monument Type(s):

Full Description

The Newbury District Field Club reported that some 'interesting remains of a pile structure' were found when making foundations for new premises for Mr Cary in Northbrook Street. They occurred above a bed of coarse flint stones laid in the peat, and animal bones (red deer, ox, sheep) were also found, together with coins, tokens and a brass spoon of about 1620 <1>.

The Ordnance Survey Field Investigator in the 1960s was informed by Mr Sheridan that Baker's electrical shop at SU 4708 6753 occupies the site of Cary's shop <3>. However a shop with the same name existed in the later 20th century at 43 Northbrook Street, at SU 47084 67502.

Research into the businesses run by Alphonse Cary indicated that he had first opened a shop at 45 Northbrook Street in the 1870s which was extended to 47 Northbrook Street by 1877 <4>. A new building at 47-48 Northbrook Street was designed by James H Money and constructed in 1882-3, opening on 22/03/1883. The shop continued at 47-48 Northbrook Street until the 1960s.

Sources and further reading

<01>Newbury District Field Club. 1886-95. TRANS NEWBURY DISTRICT FIELD CLUB 1886-95 VOL 4. P186-7. [Article in serial / SWB10455]
<02>Peake, H. 1931. The Archaeology of Berkshire. P70;213. [Monograph / SWB10018]
<03>Ordnance Survey. 1960s-70s. Ordnance Survey Field Investigators Comments. F1 JP 18-OCT-63. [Personal observation / SWB14640]
<04>Peacock, D. 20/07/2017. Correspondence from David Peacock to West Berkshire HER about Alphonse Cary's shops in Northbrook Street. 2017 WBC Network. [Unpublished document / SWB149238]

Related Monuments

MWB3442NORTHBROOK STREET, NEWBURY (Monument)
MWB2139647 Northbrook Street, Newbury (Building)
MWB5399CHEAP ST - 'pile structures' (Monument)
MWB5398MARKET PLACE - 'pile structure' (Monument)
MWB10113Newbury - black gravel under Bartholomew Street, Cheap Street and Market Street (Find Spot)
MWB5397Opposite the Coopers Arms, Bartholomew Street (Monument)

Associated Excavations and Fieldwork

  • None recorded