HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > West Sussex HER Result
West Sussex HERPrintable version | About West Sussex HER | Visit West Sussex HER online...

The summary material provided on this website is intended for general public use only and will be updated periodically. Those undertaking planning, management or research must continue to contact the Historic Environment Record directly for up to date information, events records and accurate locations.

Please note that the inclusion of a heritage asset on this website does not mean it is accessible to the public.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

This site is protected as a "scheduled monument" under the provisions of the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 (as amended). Without prior permission it is an offence to i) cause damage ii) to execute, cause or permit work iii) to use a metal detector.

Name:Arundel Town Defences
HER Ref:MWS3515
Type of record:Monument


  • Scheduled Monument 12888: ARUNDEL CASTLE


Arundel was established as a borough between 1066 and 1086 (see 1957). The castle was founded c.1070 (see 1959). The town was defended on the E. and S. by the marsh and river respectively, but on the N. and W. a wall was added in 1295 to pre-existing defences.{1} Two series of defences appear to N. and W., an inner and an outer. The most northerly has been alleged to have been the defences of a promontory fort, but an account of 1275 refers to the making and raising of the palisade which had fallen down from the gate of Bogerwerth to the gate in the valley. The gate of Bogerwerth has been equated with that at TQ01490764 and if this is correct it must imply that the earthworks were at least used as a Medieval defence. Eustace identifies two mounds at the extreme angles of the vallum as possible sites of towers. Foundations were found in the enclosed area and suggested to have been part of the town pre-1295 (see 1963). The course of this pre-1295 palisade is uncertain. The mention of two gates and the omission of Mary Gate may indicate the outer course. Dallaway says these (northern) earthworks were increased when the town and castle were put into a tenable state by Lord Hopton before the siege. Eustace suggests that he reused the 'old British Fosse' and constructed a wide ditch from its NW. angle down to the marshy ground of Park Valley. The inner defences were made up of a ditch and wall running from the castle wall to St. Mary's Gate and SW. down Mount Pleasant and then S. to Water or Marsh Gate and the river. This wall appears to have been built in 1295. It has been suggested that the name Whytings Dyke applied to a wooden palisade fixed between a row of lime trees which stood along Mount Pleasant.{2}{3}{4}{5} The name Bogerwerth may apply to St. Mary's Gate, possibly the name it held prior to the founding of St. Mary's Chapel (see 1960).{6}

Grid Reference:TQ 0197 0708
Parish:Arundel, Arun, West Sussex
Map:Show location on Streetmap

Monument Types

  • TOWN DEFENCES (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)


<1>Bibliographic reference: Allison FD. 1947. Little Town of Arundel. 8 15 22.
<2>Bibliographic reference: Eustace GW. 1922. Arundel Borough and Castle. 18-20 59-60.
<3>Bibliographic reference: Dallaway J. 1932. 192.
<4>Bibliographic reference: OS. 1952. TQ00NW1.
<5>Bibliographic reference: OS. 1964. TQ00NW1.
<6>Bibliographic reference: OS. 1970. TQ00NW1.

Associated Events - none recorded

Associated Monuments

  • MWS3514 - Related to: Arundel Castle (Monument)
  • MWS3516 - Related to: Building Foundations in Little Park - Arundel (Monument)
  • MWS2689 - Related to: Historic Town of Arundel (Monument)
  • MWS3732 - Related to: Holy Trinity Hospital - Arundel (Monument)

Associated Finds - none recorded