HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

Title:Slade's Mill, East Portlemouth. Documentary History and Building Interpretation
Originator:Exeter Archaeology
Summary:Unusual in having been powered by 2 leats. That to w from a small pond (now silted) at junction of 2 streams. The other from a stream forming boundary with Chivelstone parish. This leat was in existence around 1235 + both terminated in the millpond. Circa 1235 record of William de Praule's grant to John de Slade of a watercourse called 'Le Oldewaye' running to the Mill of Slade 'just as his predecessors occupied' (see DRO). This suggests that the mill was long established. Granted to Dartmouth Corporation in 1512. Reference of 1622 to "Three Myles" (probably pairs of millstones) with nearby "lime kill" (sic), "Howse" + "Kaye". This suggests that the ground on which the wharf stood + on which "Odds and Ends House" was built, was reclaimed between 1609 and 1622. No other reference to the kiln has been found. Further documentary references of C18 + C19 cited. Corn milling continued into C20.1905 map shows foundry buildings in field to w (in accord with recorded change of occupation of occupant from miller in 1906 to iron founder in 1910). As the leats fell out of use, water for the pelton wheel was derived from a spring above the site. A number of photos are preserved at Cookworthy Museum. See report for details of building.

Associated Monuments (3)

MDV54081Animal shed at Slades Mill, East Portlemouth (Monument)
MDV54080Barn at Slades Mill, East Portlemouth (Monument)
MDV21138Slade's Corn Mill (Monument)