HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

ID:SDV18954
Title:Archaeological Assessment of a Development Site at Mill Street/Queen Street, Bideford
Originator:Weddell, P. J.
Date:1993
Summary:The 1663 quay is described in a 'Survey of the Port of Exon' made in 1676. During c17 + c18 the quay was extended first to the n to the newly laid out Bridgeland Street c.1690, then to the S to the long bridge. By 1828 quay was c.365m long. Further widening took place in 1889 when its appearance was enhanced with a tree-lined promenade.

Associated Monuments (16)

MDV10263246-47, Mill Street, Bideford (Building)
MDV6339348 Mill Street, Bideford (Building)
MDV633945 Queen Street, Bideford (Building)
MDV7912850a, 51 and 51a Mill Street, Bideford (Monument)
MDV1026306a, Cooper Street, Bideford (Building)
MDV494Bideford Quay (Monument)
MDV63400Boundary Walls, Mill Street, Bideford (Monument)
MDV63398Boundary Walls, Queen Street, Bideford (Monument)
MDV63396Building, Queen Street, Bideford (Monument)
MDV63397Building, Queen Street, Bideford (Monument)
MDV43293Ford across the River Torridge (Monument)
MDV102629Heards Garage, Queen Street, Bideford (Building)
MDV497Long Bridge, Bideford (Building)
MDV63395Smithy, Queen Street, Bideford (Monument)
MDV63399Structures, Mill Street, Bideford (Monument)
MDV102628Walls, Queen Street, Bideford (Monument)