HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

ID:SDV25769
Title:Wear
Originator:Cresswell, B. F.
Date:1908
Summary:St. Luke's, Countess Wear, was originally built as a Chapel of Ease for Topsham in 1838. Countess Wear was formed into a separate Ecclesiastical Parish in 1844. The bulding is of limestone, with a bell turret at the west end, having a leaded spire surmounted by a cross. The roof of the chancel is lower than the nave, and there are four lancet windows on each side. The pulpit is an old one, with key patterns carved round the panels. The brass eagle lectern is inscribed. The font is octagonal and of freestone. The chancel has a waggon roof. On the south side of the church are sedilia, and there is a piscina with a carved bracket below it. The east window has lancet lights filled with coloured glass, and there are two very small lancets above the sedilia. The choir stalls are carved oak. In the organ chamber hang two tablets giving information on the church and a plan of the seating.

Associated Monuments (1)

MDV18324St Lukes Church, Countess Wear (Monument)