HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

ID:SDV303688
Title:Dawlish
Originator:Department of Environment
Date:1985
Summary:Parish church of St. Gregory. Medieval tower, the rest of the church rebuilt in 1824 by Andrew Patey and with alterations of 1873-5. The west tower is built of sandstone in two stages, having octagonal turret, crenellated crockets and waterspout. The 1824 additions are in stone rubble and consist of six bay nave, transept, north and south aisles and south porch. Traceried windows. The interior contains a good series of late 18th to early 19th century wall tablets to people who died while visiting the fashionable resort of Dawlish, including a flaxman memorial to Frances Mary Hamlet. These have recently been repositioned on a modern structure. Victorian tessellated reredos. The churchyard contains some 18th century chest tombs and headstones.

Associated Monuments (5)

MDV30202Dawlish Town Hall (Building)
MDV9810Dawlish, Parish Church of St. Gregory (Building)
MDV108894Lower Holcombe Barn, Hall Lane, Holcombe (Building)
MDV73005Old Vicarage, 13 Weech Road, Dawlish (Building)
MDV30205The Thatches, Holcombe (Building)