HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

Originator:Department of Environment
Summary:Beaford Mill and adjoining leat, retaining walls and bridge. Mill dated 1867; enlarged later in the C19. Snecked squared stone with dressed quoins and voussoirs. Gable-ended Welsh-slate roof. Plan: Mill aligned approximately north-west/south-east. South-east block dated 1867, extended to north-east in the later C19. Formerly with undershot external waterwheel (waterwheel and its separate roof since removed) to south-west side of 1867 block. Leat retaining walls and small bridge also adjoining to south-west. Mill of 2 storeys and loft with additiion of one-storey and loft. Exterior: South-west (leat) side largely windowless, but has central first-floor 3-light window to centre (blocked window below) and first-floor doorway to its left. Right-hand gable end has small one-light attic window, first-floor C19 two-light wooden casement and ground-floor 2-light opening. Datestone below attic window. Left-hand gable end has 2-light wooden casement to loft and ground-floor pair of large boarded double doors with wooden lintel and segmental-pointed stone relieving arch. Rear of right-hand block has louvred attic window to left and first-floor boarded door with wooden frame, and approached by external brick steps. Boarded ground-floor boarded door below steps. Leat retaining walls adjoining to south-west. Squared and coursed stone walls. Small round-arched bridge over leat with dressed voussoirs and cobbled decking. Interior of mill: Two pairs of boxed millstones in first floor of right-hand block, with old hoist for lifting stones. Various grain shutes and trap doors. Complete wooden sack hoist in attic (formerly powered by take off from main drive) with wooden pulley wheel and wooden drum with chain. Three-bay roof over 1867 end with bolted collar trusses and pairs of purlins. Four-bay roof over later C19 end, with collar trusses. Also old hoist in later end. The mill and adjoining leat walls form part of a mill complex also including Beaford Mill House.

Associated Monuments (15)

MDV73774Barn and shippons at Brealeys Farm, Beaford (Building)
MDV2652Beaford Bible Christian Chapel (Building)
MDV21332Beaford Mill (Building)
MDV74340Beaford Mill House (Building)
MDV21333Beaford Mill House (Building)
MDV11940Beaford, Abbot's Hill (Building)
MDV5639Beaford, The Old Parsonage (Building)
MDV283Beaford, Woolleigh Barton (Building)
MDV14504Beaford, Woolleigh Barton Chapel (Building)
MDV58462Beaford, Woolleigh Barton Garden Wall (Building)
MDV73777Buckland Cottage (Building)
MDV4471Cider Cellar at Scriggins Farm (Building)
MDV4469Former Font Base to south-east of Trevilla, Beaford (Building)
MDV4470Scriggins Farm Roundhouse, Beaford (Building)
MDV73775Trevilla and adjoining Kitchen Garden Walls (Building)