HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

ID:SDV325361
Title:Bere Ferrers
Originator:English Heritage
Date:1977
Summary:Union Tin Smelting Works. Former smelting works including assay office now used as a flat. Probably built in 1849. Rubble walls. Hipped asbestos slate roofs. Assay office has 3 brick stacks one at right-hand gable end and 2 lateral stacks at rear. Large_smelting house with smaller room divided off at one end as a strong room probably for the purpose of storing bar tin after smelting. Attached at right angles at the left-hand end is a 2 storey building with former assay office on first floor reached by external steps (now converted into a flat), and store on the ground floor. Attached at right angles to the smelting house at the opposite end is a derelict building originally the count house. Smelting house is single storey, assay office is 2 storey. Symmetrical front to smelting house with 3 windows on either side of double doors, all with elliptical brick arches. Assay office is attached to left-hand end of smelting house projecting at right angles. Asymmetrical front has stone steps with iron railings at left of centre leading to first floor 19C 4 panelled door. To either side of it is original 12 pane hornless sash window with brick arch. Small window on ground floor to either side of the steps have segmental arches, internal shutters and stanchion bars. Adjoining this building and in front of the smelting house is a paved granite yard. Dividing this from the road is a high rubble wall with roughly central square granite gate piers. Interior: the smelting house has a roof supported on cast iron columns, one of which is dated 1849. The smelting works were in operation from 1849 to circa 1890.

Associated Monuments (1)

MDV13882Weirquay, Union Tin Smelting Works (Building)