HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

ID:SDV327021
Title:
Originator:Department of Environment
Date:
Summary:Site of coastal battery at Renney. Armed with 2 x 9 2" guns (Guy). Vis=estimated -/-/1989 (Guy). Remains (Guy). Vis=12/12/1991 (Pye). Powerful coastal battery designed to keep largest battleships out of range of the dockyard. Covered E approaches to Plymouth sound, whilst W approaches covered by a companion battery at Penlee point. Shared accommodation (Renney/Lentney camp) and stores with Lentney battery. Built 1905-6. Original armament, 3 x 9.2" guns, which were progressively modernised until removal in 1957. Also armed with two 60-pounder guns, one mobile 6-pounder, two Bofors AA guns and two Spigot mortars during WWII. All three 9.2" emplacements survive complete, together with three underground magazine, store-rooms and shelters located between or behind the emplacements. One emplacement shows modifications for 1947 hydraulic mounting and all three have blast-protection walls, built in 1941, with rifle slits to their rear. There are the foundations of a small WWII building to the rear of one emplacement. All are very well preserved, including largely complete ammunition hoists within the magazines. Used as a training establishment 1956-91. Now (March 1992) in process of being sold by MOD. For additional defences, blockhouses etc see subsheets (Plymouth Fortress Survey). Vis= Exemplifies recent advances made in form and design and housed the two principal heavy guns designed to counter the battleships and armoured cruisers of the pre-dreadnought era. Further detail in doe listing in parish file (DOE).

Associated Monuments (1)

MDV13723Renney Battery (Building)