HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

ID:SDV336202
Title:Painted Screen Panels in Heavitree Church
Originator:Clarke, K. M.
Date:1910-1911
Summary:Whipton: all saints. In 1861 the little church was built as a chapel of ease on ground given by lord poltimore. It is of red stone having a west gable surmounted with a bell turret. The entrance is through a south porch, with corbelled heads completing the dripstones of the moulding of the arch. The roof is open timbered. There is a simple octagonal font, and a fine mullioned west window. One of the coloured windows is in memory of mr. Edward a. Sanders, who died in 1905. He presented the carved oak reading desk and lectern to the church. The reredos is of stone, and on the north wall of the sanctuary is a memorial brass ornamented with the figure of an angel. It commemorates anna maria everard donor of the east window (cresswell). Some traceried panelling which was thought to come from the rood loft of heavitree parish church was used in the prayer desk which formerly stood in whipton church. It is not now in use (clarke).

Associated Monuments (2)

MDV18326All Saints' Church, Whipton (Monument)
MDV1562ROOD LOFT in the Parish of Atherington (Building)