HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

ID:SDV58742
Title:An Introduction to Crediton, alias Kirton or sometimes Critton
Originator:Venn, T. W.
Date:1955
Summary:St. Lawrence's Green, socket-stone of cross which formerly stood in North Street, being known as the 'West Town Cross'. Date of removal not known. Type B or C. A square stone with the corners cut-away to form an irregular octagon, and a fragment, much damaged, of shaft, square in section. The stone is partly buried in soil and it is possible that corner spurs may exist below the surface. Medieval stone cross remains.

Associated Monuments (11)

MDV12612Bishop's Palace in Crediton (Building)
MDV608Chapel of St Lawrence, Crediton (Building)
MDV621Church House, Crediton (Monument)
MDV12611Collegiate Buildings, Holy Cross Church, Crediton (Monument)
MDV16201East Town, Crediton (Monument)
MDV66965Litterburn Stream (Monument)
MDV620Remains of Town Cross, Holy Cross Churchyard, Crediton (Monument)
MDV607St George's Chapel (Monument)
MDV71718Stream Culvert to the north of Crediton Parish Church (Monument)
MDV610West Town Cross, Crediton (Building)
MDV16202West Town, Crediton (Monument)