HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

ID:SDV655
Title:St. Giles in the Wood
Originator:Department of Environment
Date:1989
Summary:Ruins of mansion.1872-73 by Rolle on an ancient site; reduced in size c.1914; abandoned since c.1945. Grey coloured snecked stone with cream coloured limestone detail, rendered brick internally; brick and stone stacks with snecked stone chimneyshafts with limestone coping; no roof, formerly slate. Plan: ruined mansion. The entrance front faces ENE, say E. It is said to be the original front rebuilt further back when the E half of the house was done away with c.1914. The interior walls have collapsed and are much overgrown and therefore a description of the layout of rooms is not possible here. Nevertheless it is clear that the principal rooms were those on the S + E sides. Service rooms were increasingly concentrated in the nw corner and a service block connecting that corner, northwards and connecting to the service courtyard (now called stevenstone court) has been demolished. Formerly 2 storeys with a basement. Exterior: the ruined walls are very overgrown and rarely stand their full height. A 3-storey turret and stack stand high and relatively intact in the SW corner and a large projecting lateral stack dominates the E front. The windows have limestone ashlar architraves and the most prominent have curvilinear pediments filled with the carved Rolle arms. Eaves cornices and chimneyshaft cornice are limestone modillion friezes. The E (entrance) front has an irregular 5-window front interrupted by the projecting stack right of centre. The doorway is central. Partly collapsed flight of steps to remains of stone ashlar shallow porch; external bands of rusticated stone and panelled interior. The S front, overlooking the deer park, has a 4-window front. The right end window here is a projecting bay window with very large windows. According to the owner he has a pre-1914 photograph showing this bay window is central. Interior: completely collapsed although here and there the walls are still plastered and one room in the SW corner has the remnants of a moulded plaster cornice including a modillion frieze. All the carpentry, joinery and other fixtures and fittings have been removed.

Associated Monuments (13)

MDV58734Garden Wall and Gateway to Winscott Barton (Building)
MDV73194Pair of Barns south of Winscott Barton Farmhouse (Building)
MDV38932St. Giles in the Wood, Biskey How (Building)
MDV277St. Giles in the Wood, East Dodscott Farmhouse (Building)
MDV278St. Giles in the Wood, St. Giles' Parish Church (Building)
MDV58464Stevenstone House, Garden Walls (Building)
MDV58466Stevenstone House, Gateway (Building)
MDV58463Stevenstone House, Library (Building)
MDV11999Stevenstone House, Orangery (Building)
MDV11939Stevenstone House, St. Giles in the Wood (Building)
MDV58465Stevenstone House, Terrace Walls (Building)
MDV73192Winscott Barton Farm Buildings (Building)
MDV11945Winscott Barton, St. Giles in the Wood (Building)