HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

Title:Address of the President. Hartland Abbey
Originator:Chope, R. P.
Date:1926 - 1936
Summary:The present modern mansion stands on a portion of the site of the abbey, nothing being left of the old buildings in their original position. Sketches (reproduced in this article), made before the building of the mansion in 1779 make it clear that the conventual church stood on the north side of the cloister and extended east from the belfry, whose site is near the present entrance hall; the site of the church is occupied by a sunken garden. Excavation (? by H. R. Watkin) revealed the remains of one of the western piers at the crossing of the nave and transept. Author cites Polwhele, who, writing soon after the 18th century rebuilding, considered that the new house incorporated part of the fabric of the cloisters. The arches of the cloister and their Latin inscription were "quite perfect and unaltered" in the mid 18th century - some are incorporated in the present building. Chope considers the present house to occupy the site of the abbot's or guest's hall, and speculates on the lay-out of other cloistral buildings. The original monastery was probably incomplete and of a rude style of architecture - it was described as being dark and in a bad state of repair in 1320 when Bishop Stapledon required the abbot to carry out reparations and rebuilding, the result included a new cloister. In the early 16th century, the abbey was described as being "greatly in ruin". Polwhele records the finding of tiles and architectural fragments including tombstones during the construction of the new house, and the presence of a large half ruined tower next to the house which was eventually demolished. A late 14th century tomb (? of Lady Muriel Dynham, d. circa 1369) was transferred to the parish church in 1848. Fragments of sculpture from excavations at the east end of the conventual church have been built into the east end of the south chancel aisle of the parish church. Frithelstock priory (SS41NE/1) was a daughter house. Article includes history, description of abbey property, and some documentary evidence.

Associated Monuments (5)

MDV13859Chapel of St. Clear, Gawlish, Hartland (Building)
MDV74Chapel of St. John, Long Furlong, Hartland (Building)
MDV75Chapel of St. Wenn, Cheristow, Hartland (Building)
MDV76Hartland Abbey (Monument)
MDV63St Martins Chapel, Meddon, Hartland (Monument)