HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV41594
Name:Coombeshead Farmhouse, Arlington

Summary

The farmhouse developed in the 17th century as a two room cross passage house to which later extensions were added to the west and north in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 622 395
Map Sheet:SS63NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishArlington
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishARLINGTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS63NW/121
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)
  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Early Medieval to XXI - 1066 AD to 2009 AD)

Full description

National Trust, 1985-1988, Arlington Estate: Historic Building Records, A1/10 (Un-published). SDV354537.

Coombeshead Farm is an unspoilt example of a large North Devon stock and corn farming complex. The site is first documented in 1341, with leases recorded from 1632 onwards.
The house developed in the 17th century as a two room cross passage house to which later extensions were added to the west and north in the 18th and 19th centuries. The outshut to the west end of the rear wall is 20th century.

Department of Environment, 1987, Arlington, 1 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV337040.

Coombeshead Farmhouse. Farmhouse. Probably late C17, extended at left end in C18 or early C19, and to rear in C19. Rendered stone rubble. Slate roofs with gable ends. Rendered stone rubble axial and left gable end stacks with tapered caps and drips. Brick stack to right gable end rebuilt in C20. Originally a 2-room symmetrical plan with a principal room each side of cross-passage, the passage terminating where the stairs run up laterally from the rear right-hand corner of the left-hand room. In C18 or early C19, a 2-storey extension was added at the lower left end as a kitchen with a stair turret, now demolished, to the rear right-hand corner. This part may have been occupied as a separate unit. In C19 a gable-ended 2-storey service wing was added to rear creating an overall T-shaped plan.
2 storeys.3-window range. Principally C19 fenestration, all 2-light casements 6 panes per light. Gable slate roof to porch with 1/2 glazed inner door with margin glazing bars. Interior: largely altered in C19 and C20, but C19 joinery mostly intact including integral bench in kitchen. Beams cased in. Fireplace lintel in left-hand room has thin chamfer with straight-cut stops. 2 pegged trusses with side-pegged collars and purlins resting on back of principals to original range, single pegged truss with tiered purlins to extension.

Ordnance Survey, 2025, Mastermap 2025 (Cartographic). SDV366286.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV337040List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Arlington. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 1.
SDV354537Un-published: National Trust. 1985-1988. Arlington Estate: Historic Building Records. A4 Unbound + Digital. A1/10.
SDV366286Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2025. Mastermap 2025. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #144918 ]

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 8 2025 3:02PM