HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV54298
Name:St James Mill, Heavitree, Exeter

Summary

Site of a mill mentioned in the 12th century associated with St James's Priory. It is also potentially on or near the site of Wear Mill mentioned in the 16th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 934 906
Map Sheet:SX99SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishExeter
DistrictExeter
Ecclesiastical ParishHEAVITREE

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX99SW/2/1

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WATERMILL (XII to XIV - 1101 AD to 1400 AD)

Full description

Exeter City Chamber, 1756-1760, A plan of the River Exe, and the Haven from the Quay at Exeter, down as far as the Lower Sluice (Record Office Collection). SDV366697.

The Exeter Chamber Map Book shows the site of Wear Mills to be a little beyond midway between St James Weir and the paper mill at Countess Weir.

Hooker, J., 1919, The Description of the Citie of Excester (Monograph). SDV350830.

Jackson, A. M., 1972, Medieval Exeter, the Exe and the Earldom of Devon, 71 (Article in Serial). SDV339439.

Weddell, P. J., 1987, Devon Religious Houses Survey: St. James' Priory, Exeter (Report - Survey). SDV347691.

A 12th century grant mentions land 'in which is made the leat of the water of their mill'. This suggests that there was a mill already in existence by 1150. Another 12th century grant refers to the 'exclusagiam', probably meaning 'sluice', of the mill of the church of St James. The visitation of 1279 also mentions that the Prior had recently repaired 2 mills and was, therefore, penniless. The most obvious topographical features surviving today are the weir called ‘St James Weir’ and mill leat. Jackson (1972) suggests that the weir was built in the last quarter of the 14th century, citing Hooker, but the documentary evidence cited above suggests that there was a weir and leat here earlier in the medieval period.
Jackson also suggests that the City of Exeter bought the mills served by the weir in the mid 16th century as it was originally intended to build a canal along the line of the leat. At this time the leat served a mill called Wear Mill. There are references in the City Receivers Accounts for 1551-2 for repairs to 'the mill leat of Wer Mill'.

Best, J. + Woodgate, R., 2007, Archaeological Monitoring at St James' Weir, Exeter (Report - Watching Brief). SDV339440.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV339439Article in Serial: Jackson, A. M.. 1972. Medieval Exeter, the Exe and the Earldom of Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 104. A5 Paperback. 71.
SDV339440Report - Watching Brief: Best, J. + Woodgate, R.. 2007. Archaeological Monitoring at St James' Weir, Exeter. Exeter Archaeology Report. Project 6072. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV347691Report - Survey: Weddell, P. J.. 1987. Devon Religious Houses Survey: St. James' Priory, Exeter. Devon Religious Houses Survey. 18. A4 Unbound + Digital. [Mapped feature: #34208 ]
SDV350830Monograph: Hooker, J.. 1919. The Description of the Citie of Excester. The Description of the Citie of Excester.
SDV366697Record Office Collection: Exeter City Chamber. 1756-1760. A plan of the River Exe, and the Haven from the Quay at Exeter, down as far as the Lower Sluice. ECA/7/1/17. Photocopy + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV109338Related to: Mill Race from St James Weir to Countess Wear (Monument)
MDV15172Related to: St James's Priory, Heavitree, Exeter (Monument)
MDV16547Related to: St James's Weir on the River Exe, Exeter (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4302 - Weir to the southeast of St James' Weir

Date Last Edited:Dec 3 2025 3:56PM