See important
guidance on the use of this record.
If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.
| HER Number: | MDV72824 |
|---|
| Name: | Weir Head, Building |
|---|
Summary
Site of a small 19th century building of which the chimney stack remained in 2005
Location
| Grid Reference: | SX 437 710 |
|---|
| Map Sheet: | SX47SW |
|---|
| Admin Area | Devon |
|---|
| Civil Parish | Gulworthy |
|---|
| District | West Devon |
|---|
| Ecclesiastical Parish | TAVISTOCK |
|---|
Protected Status: none recorded
Other References/Statuses: none recorded
Monument Type(s) and Dates
- BUILDING (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))
Full description
Buck, C., 2005, Wheal Russell Mine, Devon: Archaeological Assessment, 36 (Report - Assessment). SDV336659.
Site of a small building (Site 35) possibly shown on the 1904 & later Ordnance Survey maps. The function of the building is uncertain but may be related to the route of the early 19th Duke of Bedford's Drive which consisted of a series of horse drives from Endsleigh House to Morwellham Quay. The site may have been a tearoom & toilet. The survey in 2005 found the stone chimney stack remaining with a fireplace at ground level. The chimney was 1.3 meters long x 0.5 meters wide x 4.7 meters high. Remnants of low walls were located at the western end of the rectangular building. Other details: Fig 20.
Sources / Further Reading
| SDV336659 | Report - Assessment: Buck, C.. 2005. Wheal Russell Mine, Devon: Archaeological Assessment. Cornwall County Council Report. 2006R0004. A4 Stapled + Digital. 36. |
| |
| | |
Associated Monuments: none recorded
Associated Finds: none recorded
Associated Events
- EDV4040 - Wheal Russell Mine, Devon: Archaeological Assessment
| Date Last Edited: | Sep 18 2006 1:57PM |
|---|
Search results generated by the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd.