HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Leicestershire and Rutland HER Result
Leicestershire and Rutland HERPrintable version | About Leicestershire and Rutland HER | Visit Leicestershire and Rutland HER online...

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


Name:CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CLEMENTS GATE, DISEWORTH
HER Ref:MLE11188
Parish:Long Whatton and Diseworth, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire
Grid Reference:SK 453 245
Map:Coming soon

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Anglo Saxon to Modern - 1001 AD to 2050 AD)

Summary

The church is listed in the Matriculus of 1220. It has a probable Saxo-Norman window in the chancel north wall (blocked). In the C13th the chancel and south aisle were lengthened. The west tower is of c.1300. The north porch was added in 1661.

Additional Information

Listed building description:
Parish church. C11-C12 in origin but substantially C13 with early C14 tower. North porch dated 1661. C19 and C20 restorations. Rubble stone with ashlar tower and lead roofs. West tower, nave, south aisle, north porch, chancel. West tower is of 2 stages with diagonal buttresses, 2-light traceried west window and wide arched single lights in double-chamfered surrounds to bell-chamber. Broach spire with single tier of lucarnes Nave has some herringbone stone work at base of north wall, a short length of moulded plinth and a coved cornice. Large C19 brick buttresses at north-east corner. North side has 2 large arched single lights in double-chamfered surrounds, and moulded arched doorway with inner order on shafts. North porch has coped gable and moulded arch. South aisle has covered eaves and restored traceried windows, the west end with 2-light window, the south side with 3-light window to left and tall 2-light window to right, the east end with another 3-light window. Both 3-light windows have intersecting tracery. Moulded south doorway is partly infilled and has small door. Chancel retains outline and inner splays of small C11-C12 arched single light, now blocked, in north wall, and one other blocked single light with traces of carving over arched head. South side has 2 C19 2-light traceried windows in Decorated style, and blocked lowside window. Large 3-light east window with cusped tracery. INTERIOR: is much restored and stripped of plaster. Double-chamfered arches to tower, chancel and south arcade. South arcade is of three bays and has octagonal piers, moulded capitals, with dogtooth ornament, and label with carved stops. Nave roof renewed 1949, south aisle roof 1902 and chancel roof 1964. Cancel has aumbry in east wall and arched piscina with rebate in south wall. Fittings include a font with a round bowl, possibly C11-C12, on later base with 4 filleted shafts, and a panelled pulpit and tester dated RC 1713. By the font are fragments of wall plaster from No. 31 Hall Gate, with small incised figures. Other fittings are C19. Marble wall MEMORIALS include a late C18 tablet to Calet Lowdhan and family and C19 tablets to members of the Cheslyn family. Tablet to Anne Cheslyn 1823 has relief carving of a mourning lady leaning on a tomb.

Project Gargoyle survey work in 2009 recorded two human heads in springers of south arcade, four simple (and eroded) heads on the south aisle exterior.


<1> Pevsner N, 1984, The Buildings of England Leicestershire and Rutland, p145 (Bibliographic reference). SLE4.

"In the chancel N wall a blocked window, probably Saxo-Norman. With this no doubt goes the other large quoining at the NE end of the nave and the herringbone work in the lowest courses of the nave as far as the porch. Of the C13 the lengthening of the chancel (blocked NE lancet) and the S aisle (three-light grouped lancets). C13 also the S arcade with some dogtooth decoration in the capital. W tower of c.1300, with triple-chamfered bell-openings, their tracery and cusping apparently removed (cf. the nave N windows). Spire with tall broaches and one tier of lucarnes. N porch dated 1661. Brick floor in the nave and aisle. - BOX PEWS. 1840-1. CLOCK. Dated 1730."

Sources

<1>Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N. 1984. The Buildings of England Leicestershire and Rutland. p145.

Associated Finds

    None recorded

Designations

  • Listed Building (II*) 1068865: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
  • Conservation Area: Diseworth

Images

No image caption available  © Leicestershire County Council

No image caption available © Leicestershire County Council

Church of St. Michael, Diseworth  © Leicestershire County Council

Church of St. Michael, Diseworth © Leicestershire County Council

Interior of the Church of St. Michael, Diseworth  © Leicestershire County Council

Interior of the Church of St. Michael, Diseworth © Leicestershire County Council

Church of St Michael Clements Gate Diseworth  © Leicestershire County Council

Church of St Michael Clements Gate Diseworth © Leicestershire County Council

Church of St Michael Clements Gate Diseworth  © Leicestershire County Council

Church of St Michael Clements Gate Diseworth © Leicestershire County Council

Crowned head, Diseworth church  © Leicestershire County Council

Crowned head, Diseworth church © Leicestershire County Council

Beaked head, Diseworth church  © Leicestershire County Council

Beaked head, Diseworth church © Leicestershire County Council