HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:Former entrance arch to Grant's iron foundry (later Blashfield's Terracotta Works), Wharf Road, Stamford
HER Number:38381
Type of record:Building

Summary

Former entrance arch to Grant's iron foundry (later Blashfield's Terracotta Works), Wharf Road, Stamford

Images

Former entrance arch to Grant's iron foundry (later Blashfield's Terracotta Works), Wharf Road, Stamford  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Former entrance arch to Grant's iron foundry (later Blashfield's Terracotta Works), Wharf Road, Stamford © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Former entrance arch to Grant's iron foundry (later Blashfield's Terracotta Works), Wharf Road, Stamford  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Former entrance arch to Grant's iron foundry (later Blashfield's Terracotta Works), Wharf Road, Stamford © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Former entrance arch to Grant's iron foundry (later Blashfield's Terracotta Works), Wharf Road, Stamford  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Former entrance arch to Grant's iron foundry (later Blashfield's Terracotta Works), Wharf Road, Stamford © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Former entrance arch to Grant's iron foundry (later Blashfield's Terracotta Works), Wharf Road, Stamford  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Former entrance arch to Grant's iron foundry (later Blashfield's Terracotta Works), Wharf Road, Stamford © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Grid Reference:TF 032 070
Map Sheet:TF00NW
Parish:STAMFORD, SOUTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

PRN 38381
This early 19th century archway was the entrance to Blashfield's Terracotta Works and has been re-erected on the present site. It is a large single arch built of coursed stone with a cornice and small pediment. For the full description and the legal address of this listed building please refer to the appropriate List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. {1}
This portal was built in 1845 as the entrance to Grant's iron foundry (PRN 36474) and was designed by Bryan Browning and built by Gregory and Tinkler. The site became Blashfield's Terracotta Works in 1858 (PRN 30744). In 1937 the arch was rebuilt several feet to the south and parallel with the road. {2}
A photographic survey of the arch was carried out prior to redevelopment of the site. {3}{4}


<1> Department of the Environment, 1974, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 1/560 (Index). SLI6708.


<2> Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, 1977, An Inventory of Historical Monuments. The Town of Stamford, No 451, p 162, plate 162 (Bibliographic reference). SLI912.


<3> University of Leicester Archaeological Services, 2006, An Archaeological Watching Brief and Photographic Survey at Wharf Road, Stamford, WRS03 (Intervention Report). SLI10794.


<4> University of Leicester Archaeological Services, 2006, An Archaeological Watching Brief and Photographic Survey at Wharf Road, Stamford, LCNCC 2003.276 (Excavation archive). SLI10795.


<5> Pevsner, N. and Harris, J., with Antram, N., 1989, Buildings of England (Second Edition), p 713 (Bibliographic reference). SLI1062.

Monument Types

  • ARCH (Post Medieval to Modern - 1845 AD to 2050 AD)
  • PORTAL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1845 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Events

  • Site visit to the entrance arch on Wharf Road, Stamford
  • Building survey of standing buildings off Wharf Road, Stamford

Protected Status

  • Conservation Area
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<1>Index: Department of the Environment. 1974. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 1/560.
<2>Bibliographic reference: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1977. An Inventory of Historical Monuments. The Town of Stamford. No 451, p 162, plate 162.
<3>Intervention Report: University of Leicester Archaeological Services. 2006. An Archaeological Watching Brief and Photographic Survey at Wharf Road, Stamford. WRS03.
<4>Excavation archive: University of Leicester Archaeological Services. 2006. An Archaeological Watching Brief and Photographic Survey at Wharf Road, Stamford. LCNCC 2003.276.
<5>Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. and Harris, J., with Antram, N.. 1989. Buildings of England (Second Edition). Lincolnshire. p 713.

Related records

30744Related to: Blashfield Terracotta Factory, Wharf Road, Stamford (Monument)
36474Related to: Site of Iron Foundry, Wharf Road, Stamford (Monument)