HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Drumburgh Castle

Hob Uid: 10010
Location :
Cumbria
Allerdale
Bowness
Grid Ref : NY2656059770
Summary : Tower House, now a farmhouse. Built in the 13th century, licence to crenellate granted to Robert le Brun in 24 August 1307. Alterations originally dated 1518 with initials and coat of arms of Thomas Lord Dacre over entrance; further alterations between 1678 and 1681 for John Aglionby and 19th century additions. Extremely thick walls of squared and coursed red sandstone (from the nearby Hadrian's Wall). Of three storeys (formerly four storeys), five bays; single-storey single-bay extension to left. Site of a moat, no longer visible. A Roman altar appears to be in (? built into) the outside doorway on the first floor.
More information : (NY 2656 5977) Drumburgh Castle and remains of (TI) Castle (GT) (1)

Drumburgh Castle, a pre 1306 fortified Manor house (Peel), belonged to Robert le Brun who obtained licence to crenellate in 1307. A ditch to the West and South is probably the only surviving evidence for this building which was demolished and superseded in 1525 by the present building, partly rebuilt in 1681. Most of the masonry for the Castle seems to have been derived from the Roman Wall, and a Roman altar appears to be in (? built into) the outside doorway on the first floor. Drumburgh Castle formed a unit in the long line of English strongholds which guarded the Scottish Border, standing as it does, nearly opposite one of the fords across the Solway. (2-3)

Present 16/17th cent. building is not outstanding. There are no visible traces of a ditch. Roman altar measures approx 0.7 x 0.8m and is built above a doorway at NY 2657 5977. (4)

Drumburgh Castle
11/4/67
I
Tower House, now farmhouse. C13, licence to crenellate granted to Robert le Brun 24 August 1307. Alterations originally dated 1518 with initials and coat of arms of Thomas Lord Dacre over entrance; further alterations between 1678 and 1681 for John Aglionby and C19 additions. Extremely thick walls of squared and coursed red sandstone (from the nearby Roman Wall) on chamfered plinth, parapet over entrance with carved stone eagle finials; steeply pitched graduated greenslate roof with coped gables, brick chimney stacks. 3 storeys (formerly 4 storeys), 5 bays; single-storey single-bay extension to left. C19 gabled brick porch with Welsh slate roof; to right is a blocked round-headed C13 window. C13 blocked round-headed ground floor entrance is partly covered by C16 or C17 external stone steps to first floor. 1517 entrance; iron-studded oak plank door could be original (with later internal lock dated and inscribed J.L. 1681) in pointed-arched and chamfered surround with carved stone panel of arms above. Ground floor and first floor sash windows with glazing bars in enlarged C16 openings. Continuous row of blocked slit vents above. Second floor C16 2-light stone-mullioned windows now have Yorkshire sashes with mullions removed; blocked third floor windows slightly above and between these windows. Rear wall has similar windows and blocked windows. End wall right, which was in danger of collapse, was completely taken down in the late 1970's and rebuilt in facsimile, with broad central buttress and corbelled-out battlemented parapet, which may have been the remains of medieval crenellation. Floor levels of interior changed in C16 and C17: many original features will be covered by later plasterwork. First floor C17 wood-panelled room. Interior of rebuilt end is entirely of breeze blocks and open from floor to roof; roof of king-post trusses could be C16. Extension to left of Roman Wall stone and cobbles with greenslate roof. End wall has plank doors and slatted openings. (5)

Drumburgh Castle. Included in list of Cumberland moats. (6)

Listed with plan and illustration. (7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1957
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Transactions of the Dumfriesshire and Galloway Natural History and Antiquarian Society
Source details : (Arch Notes)
Page(s) : 216
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 3, 1925-6
Source Number : 3
Source : Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society
Source details : (W T McIntire)
Page(s) : 205-10
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 29, 1929
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 BHP 22-NOV-68
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : District of Allerdale, Cumbria: 8.11.84
Page(s) : 8
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5a
Source : Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society extra series
Source details :
Page(s) : 202-3
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 13, 1913
Source Number : 5b
Source : Medieval archaeology : journal of the Society for Medieval Archaeology
Source details :
Page(s) : 270
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 23, 1979
Source Number : 6
Source : Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society
Source details : (J Bennet, A Herne and A Whitworth)
Page(s) : 81
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 87, 1987
Source Number : 7
Source : The medieval fortified buildings of Cumbria : an illustrated gazetteer and research guide
Source details :
Page(s) : 66
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : vol.29

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Roman
Display Date : Roman
Monument End Date : 410
Monument Start Date : 43
Monument Type : Altar
Evidence : Find
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Moat
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C13
Monument End Date : 1299
Monument Start Date : 1200
Monument Type : Manor House, Tower House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : 1518
Monument End Date : 1518
Monument Start Date : 1518
Monument Type : Tower House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1678-81 alterations
Monument End Date : 1681
Monument Start Date : 1678
Monument Type : Tower House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C19 extensions
Monument End Date : 1899
Monument Start Date : 1800
Monument Type : Tower House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Modern
Monument End Date : 1999
Monument Start Date : 1901
Monument Type : Farmhouse
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 71900
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : NY 25 NE 1
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 10033
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON NY 25 NE 1
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1968-11-22
End Date : 1968-11-22
Associated Activities : Primary, DRUMBURGH CASTLE FARM
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2009-01-01
End Date : 2009-12-31