HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Bristol Greyfriars

Hob Uid: 1007750
Location :
City Of Bristol
City Of Bristol
City Of Bristol
Grid Ref : ST5870073300
Summary : Franciscan friary founded by 1230, dissolved 1538. Originally built within the city walls, it was moved circa 1250 to a new site West of the Benedictine Priory in the suburbs. The site was enlarged in 1386. The inventory of the site in 1538 records the quire, vestry, hall, parlour, buttery, chambers and kitchen. William of Worcester recorded the church, which appears to have had a nave and quire of equal length, circa 85 feet long. The chancel was between 27-31 feet wide, and the nave, with its two great aisles, circa 80-90 feet wide. This was an unusually short nave, but that may be explained by the fact that the cemetery was West of the church and prevented expansion in that direction. Excavations in 1974 recovered the plan of the church. The earliest church was a simple rectangular structure, 50 m long by 9m wide. When the church was enlarged fom 1386, the West end was demolished and the church extended to the South, so that the former nave became the new North aisle. A bell tower was added between the nave and the new chancel. The chapter house formerly stood as a separate structure to the North of the church, but cloisters were added in the late 14th century, incorporating the chapter house, and the chapter house was enlarged.
More information : ST587733 Franciscan Monastery, founded pre 1234 on an unknown site, moved to Lewins Mead, dissolved 1538. A burial ground and various architectural remains of the 14th and 15th centuries were found on the site in the 19th century. (1-2)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : The Bristol Friars Minor and their Convent 1893 (G E Weare)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, Bath
Source details : E W Godwin
Page(s) : 22
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 14, 1867
Source Number : 3
Source : Franciscan architecture in England
Source details :
Page(s) : 218-26
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 224
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1538
Monument Start Date : 1234
Monument Type : Franciscan Friary, Church, Cloister, Chapter House
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : ST 57 SE 227
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1009090
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : LEWIN'S MEAD (GREYFRIARS)
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1970-01-01
End Date : 1970-12-31
Associated Activities : UPPER MAUDLIN STREET
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1971-01-01
End Date : 1971-12-31
Associated Activities : BRISTOL FRIARY, LEWIN'S MEAD
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1973-01-01
End Date : 1973-12-31
Associated Activities : HILL HOUSE, LEWINS MEAD
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 2007-01-01
End Date : 2007-12-31