HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Leicester Castle

Hob Uid: 1048739
Location :
City of Leicester
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : SK5830004200
Summary : The site originated as a motte and bailey castle with a timber keep, (SK50SE1). It was rebuilt in stone in the 12th century and improved during the 13th and 14th centuries, but declined in the late 15th century and was ruinous by the 17th. Parts still survive as standing or fragmentary structures. Scheduled.
More information : (Centred SK 583 042) Leicester Castle stands in a prominent position above the river Soar. It formerly consisted of an inner bailey, now Castle Yard, with an outer bailey to its north and the C14th addition of a second bailey called The Newarke (SK 50 SE 162). The inner bailey could be approached on the east by a timber-framed gatehouse, built 1446-7, or from the Newarke by the Turret Gateway (SK 50 SE 163 ). The original main entrance to the Newarke was the Magazine Gateway (SK 50 SE 164).
The original motte and bailey castle (SK 50 SE 1) was built in timber by Hugh de Grentmesnil to whom William the Conqueror granted Leicester circa 1068. It was apparently rebuilt by Robert Beaumont, Count of Meulan and first Earl of Leicester, following the almost certain damage which it suffered in the rebellion of 1101. Robert `le Bosso' is generally credited with the building of the great hall (SK 50 SE 165) who inherited the castle in 1118. Henry II ordered its demolition in 1174 but how much was cleared is unknown as it is again recorded as being the residence of the Earl of Leicester. Simon de Montfort held it from 1231 until his death in 1265 when it passed to Edmund Crouchback who improved the structure. John of Gaunt died there in 1399 and after his son became Henry IV it was only used occasionally for Parliaments; the `Parliament of Bats ' was assembled there in 1426. Richard III seems to have been the last occupant in 1483 and by Charles I's time, apart from the great hall, the rest was `utterly ruynous, useless and irreparable' (1-3).

Leicester Castle. Scheduling amended. (4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Transactions of the Leicestershire Architectural and Archaeological Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 22-25
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 28, 1952
Source Number : 2
Source : Leicestershire and Rutland
Source details :
Page(s) : 217-221
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The history of the King's Works, volume 2 : the Middle Ages
Source details :
Page(s) : 702-3
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : EH Scheduling amendment, 09-MAY-2001
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Rebuilt in the mid C12th
Monument End Date : 1166
Monument Start Date : 1133
Monument Type : Castle, Curtain Wall, Barbican
Evidence : Ruined Building, Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Remodelled 1200-1399
Monument End Date : 1399
Monument Start Date : 1200
Monument Type : Castle
Evidence : Earthwork, Sub Surface Deposit, Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Remodelled early C15
Monument End Date : 1432
Monument Start Date : 1400
Monument Type : Castle
Evidence : Ruined Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 17127
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 188590
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 188600
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SK 50 SE 161
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 316859
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1048833
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1048846
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, JOHN OF GAUNT'S CELLAR, LEICESTER CASTLE
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1976-01-01
End Date : 1976-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, CASTLE YARD
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1994-01-01
End Date : 1994-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, CASTLE YARD (GREAT HALL)
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1994-01-01
End Date : 1994-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, CASTLE YARD
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1994-01-01
End Date : 1994-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, JOHN OF GAUNT'S CELLAR, LEICESTER CASTLE
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1996-01-01
End Date : 1996-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, GREAT HALL, LEICESTER CASTLE
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1996-01-01
End Date : 1996-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, 5 CASTLE VIEW
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1996-01-01
End Date : 1996-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, LEICESTER CASTLE MOTTE
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2013-01-01
End Date : 2013-12-31