HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Clifford Priory

Hob Uid: 104909
Location :
County of Herefordshire
Clifford
Grid Ref : SO2530044500
Summary : The Cluniac Priory at Cliffords was founded as an alien priory dependent on Lewes in 1129-30. It became a denizen priory between 1351 and 1374. Priory Farm stands on the site and incorporates part of a 14th century building which presumably formed part of the monastic building. Three fishponds survive as earthworks.
More information : (SO 253445) Priory Farm on site of (NAT) Priory (NR)Fishponds (NR) (remains of) (1)

The Cluniac Priory at Cliffords was founded as an alien priory dependent on Lewes in 1129-30. It became a priory between 1351 and 1374. Priory Farm stands on the site and incorporates part of a 14th century building which presumably formed part of the monastic building. The N cross wing is probably 17th century and the S cross wing is 18th century. Immediately S of the garden are traces of a series of fish ponds, and NE of them is some irregular terracing which probably indicates the site of former buildings. A slight artificial scarp is carried from this site across the adjoining field towards the SE for about 170 yds where it forms the E side of another rectangular pond, which is now dry. (2-3)

The centre portion of Priory Farm is the earlier part but in general the house is not outstanding. To the E. are a series of terraces, possibly the sites of buildings, whilst to the S and SE, along the foot of the valley, is a string of fish ponds. Three small ponds were filled in some years ago, but the three larger ones remain, though they are now dry and under pasture. They are rectangular and measure from 40.0m to 70.0m in length and average 16.0m in width. The easternmost pond has a low retaining bank along its W side.

Published 1:2500 survey revised.See G.P. (4)

This site was mapped as part of the Clifford Castle Environs aerial survey. To the north of the fishponds (NRHE 1616835), some faint earthwork platforms and a linear bank directly east of the current standing buildings are visible on lidar images and may represent the remains of buildings or walls of the original medieval site, which are overlain with later regular earthworks of post-medieval orchard ridging. After the dissolution, the Priory lost its ecclesiastical significance and its land was sold off. By the 19th century it was a private estate of just 40 acres. The new house, also known as “the Priory‬ was built at roughly SO 2551 4466 to the south of the kitchen garden (NRHE 1616834) and overlooking the earlier buildings to the south-west of it. (6-7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 25"
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses : England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 96
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : An inventory of the historical monuments in Herefordshire. Volume I: south-west
Source details :
Page(s) : 40-1
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ASP 12-JUL-72
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 99
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Light detection and ranging (lidar) airborne survey
Source details : LIDAR DTM Environment Agency SO2544 02-NOV-2006
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Whitehead, D & Patton, J 2001 A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Herefordshire, p366.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1374
Monument Start Date : 1129
Monument Type : Cluniac Cell, Fishpond
Evidence : Earthwork, Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Denizen by 1374
Monument End Date : 1536
Monument Start Date : 1374
Monument Type : Cluniac Monastery, Fishpond, Priory
Evidence : Extant Building, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Manor, Orchard
Evidence : Documentary Evidence, Earthwork

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SO 24 SE 3
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 405998
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1617184
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1616834
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1616835
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1616926
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1616834
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1616835
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SO 24 SE 3
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1972-07-12
End Date : 1972-07-12
Associated Activities : Primary, CLIFFORD CASTLE ENVIRONS AERIAL SURVEY
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 2018-01-01
End Date : 2018-12-31