HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 1050172

Hob Uid: 1050172
Location :
Somerset
Somerset West and Taunton
Exmoor
Grid Ref : SS7496938737
Summary : The post medieval (19th century) Miners cottages, mine office and blacksmiths shop at Cornham Ford are visible as low footings. They were built in 1856 to accommodate the workers of the Dowlais Iron Company. 75m south west of the cottages is a rectangular platform thought to be the site of the blacksmiths workshop.
More information : "One of the most pressing needs in connexion with the development of the iron mines (in the Cornham Ford / Burcombe area) was the provision of housing for the miners. Frederick Knight agreed to build the houses and the Dowlais Iron Company would rent them" (2). In November 1856 on the north bank of the Barle below Cornham Ford, a terrace of six cottages was built to provide housing for some of the Dowlais miners and their families. A site plan in the Fortescue papers shows seven cottages were proposed and the ruins of seven can be traced on the ground but one of these was the mine office, which was erected at the same time. They were not built to the traditional terrace design, but alternately protruded 1.4m first to the front then to the rear. The two ground floor rooms measured 4.2m by 3.6m and 3m by 3.6m. The only other building in the immediate area of the miners cottages was the Blacksmith's shop, which stood close to the Cornham track between the cottages and the ford (3).

SS 7496 3873. These cottages are depicted (unnamed) on the Ordnance Survey map of 1889 (4) as a terrace of seven conjoined yards, sub-divided and offset alternately. The second from the south west end appears to be without a division and may be the mine office referred to by Burton (3). The site of the cottages is still evident on the ground though they have been reduced to low footings and are heavily covered by bracken and brambles making any definite details impracticable.

SS 7489 3868 Some 75m to the south west of the cottages a square yard is depicted on the 1889 map (4) and this is visible on the ground as a rectangular platform about 7m E/W by 4m. No other features area ascertainable but this is most probably the site of the blacksmiths shop referred to by Burton (3). (1-4)

The row of cottages described above and depicted on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889 are visible on several aerial photographs of the area. However, they are heavily obscured by bracken, and are therefore difficult to discern (5-6).

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Sainsbury IS 21-SEP-1995 RCHME Field Investigation
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Orwin C.S. 1929 "The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest" London, Oxford University Press page(s) 131-133
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Burton R.A. 1989 "The Heritage of Exmoor" Maslands Ltd, Tiverton page(s) 148
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Ordnance Survey 1889 (surveyed 1888) 1:2500 Somerset 44:12
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : RAF 543/2821 (F63) 173-74 27-APR-1964
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR SS 7438/3 (18583/16) 12-OCT-1999
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : built 1856
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1856
Monument Type : Workers Cottage, Mine Building, Office, Blacksmiths Workshop
Evidence : Ruined Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Somerset)
External Cross Reference Number : 33066
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : HER Number (Exmoor National Park)
External Cross Reference Number : MSO7142
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SS 73 NW 39
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 35067
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, RCHME: WEST EXMOOR PROJECT
Activity type : MEASURED SURVEY
Start Date : 1993-01-01
End Date : 1996-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, ENGLISH HERITAGE: EXMOOR NATIONAL PARK NMP
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 2007-04-01
End Date : 2009-07-01