HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Landcombe

Hob Uid: 1051962
Location :
Devon
North Devon
Molland
Grid Ref : SS8372330146
Summary : The deserted post-medieval farmstead of Landcombe, comprising the remains of several buildings with walls standing to a height of 1.5m in a courtyard formation, can be seen on aerial photographs surviving as ruined structures. The placename is recorded as early as 1270 but there is no evidence of settlement until the early nineteenth century.
More information : Deserted post-medieval farmstead of Landcombe centred at SS 83723013.

"Langcumbe" is first mentioned in 1270. Various leases between 1663 and 1821 refer to it as a piece of land without settlement. It is shown on the Molland parish Tithe Map as a large enclosure (not divided into fields) and with no buildings. The first edition 25" mapping, however, depicts several structures and shows various fields adjoining the farmstead. It would appear, therefore, that Landcombe was built in the mid-nineteenth century. The date of its desertion is unclear, but is within the first half of the twentieth century.

The farmstead now consists of the remains of several buildings with walls standing to 1.5m in height. These are confused by later stone robbing and piles of rubble. Nevertheless the buildings form a courtyard arrangement with access being along a terraced way from the south. The whole farmstead corresponds precisely with that depicted in the late nineteenth century. Water was supplied to the complex from a spring to the west, shown as an old quarry in 1890. Water still flows from here and reaches the farmyard by an underground pipe.

For full description and landscape analysis of this site see Archive Account. (1)

The ruined buildings at Landcombe can be seen on aerial photographs surviving as ruined structures centred on circa SS 83713012. As described by the above authorities the structures match those depicted on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1890, and they therefore have not been transcribed. The field boundaries adjoining the farmstead to the south-east have been removed since the 1940s. An earthwork bank defined track connects the farmstead with a large quarry and further levelled field boundaries to the west. (2-4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Wilson-North, WR RCHME Field Investigation 20-July-1995
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR RAF 106G/UK/1420 (F20) 3289-90 15-APR-1946
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR SS/8330/17-19 (18278/17-19) 10-FEB-1999
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : 1:2500, 1890
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : post 1821
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Farmstead
Evidence : Ruined Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Devonshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 18375
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : HER Number (Exmoor National Park)
External Cross Reference Number : MDE13232
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SS 83 SW 35
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, ENGLISH HERITAGE: EXMOOR NATIONAL PARK NMP
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 2007-04-01
End Date : 2009-07-01