HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Limebrook Priory

Hob Uid: 106368
Location :
County of Herefordshire
Lingen
Grid Ref : SO3738066040
Summary : The ruined remains of a priory of nuns, founded here in or before the reign of Richard I (1189-99), either by Rob de Lingen or one of the Mortimers. There is some confusion as to the order to which it belonged with some debate as to whether it was originally Benedictine, but undoubtedly in the time of Bishop Booth (1516-35), it was tenanted by Augustinian Nuns and subsisted until its suppression in 1539. The ruins visible today consist of the remains of a ruined 13th century building with walls of local sandstone rubble. It has, in the south wall, three single light windows and the remains of a doorway. One jamb of a second doorway remains in the north wall, but most of this end and the east wall have been destroyed. It is impossible to determine what part of the priory this building belonged to; although there are extensive foundation mounds in the field to the east they give no indication of general arrangement. It is probable that nearby houses contain much stonework from this ruin.
More information : (SO 37386604) Remains of Limebrook Priory (NR) (Augustinian Nuns)(1).

Founded circa 1189 by Robert de Lingen or one of the Mortimers. There is some confusion as to the order to which it belonged, but certainly in the 16th century it was tenanted by Augustinian Nuns. It was dissolved in 1539 (2-3).

Only the 13th century west end and the south wall of an unidentified part of the the nunnery now remain, up to 15ft high. In the same field to the east and north, are turf covered remains of foundations, but they are so badly mutilated that it is difficult to establish what form the building took. See ground photographs.

Surveyed at 1:2500 (4).

The priory falls within the area mapped from aerial photographs by RCHME's Marches Uplands Mapping Project. The ruined remains were not recorded by that survey, but a fishpond located immediately to the south of the ruins and recorded separately (SO 36 NE 40) may be associated with the priory. (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:10 000 1981
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 281
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : An inventory of the historical monuments in Herefordshire. Volume III: north-west
Source details :
Page(s) : 136
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 DRB 23-MAY-72
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Leominster, 19-FEB-1987
Page(s) : 54
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1425
Source Number : 6
Source : RCHME/EH/HE Aerial Photographers comment
Source details : RCHME: Marches Uplands Mapping Project
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Founded in or before reign Richard I
Monument End Date : 1199
Monument Start Date : 1150
Monument Type : Priory, Nunnery, Augustinian Nunnery, Benedictine Nunnery
Evidence : Ruined Building, Sub Surface Deposit, Conjectural Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C13
Monument End Date : 1299
Monument Start Date : 1200
Monument Type : Priory, Building
Evidence : Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Dissolved in 1539
Monument End Date : 1539
Monument Start Date : 1539
Monument Type : Augustinian Nunnery, Priory
Evidence : Ruined Building, Sub Surface Deposit

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : HE 110
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Herefordshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 3960
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Herefordshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 1675
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SO 36 NE 6
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1397121
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SO 36 NE 6
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1972-05-23
End Date : 1972-05-23
Associated Activities : Primary, RCHME: MARCHES UPLANDS NMP
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 1993-01-01
End Date : 1994-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, LIMEBROOK PRIORY
Activity type : GEOPHYSICAL SURVEY
Start Date : 2006-01-01
End Date : 2006-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, LAND AT LIMEBROOK COTTAGE
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2016-01-01
End Date : 2016-12-31