HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Sugwas Court

Hob Uid: 108063
Location :
County of Herefordshire
Stretton Sugwas
Grid Ref : SO4542040810
Summary : The present Sugwas Court, built in 1792, incorporates remains of the former manor house of the Bishop of Hereford which was ruined in 1754. Architectural fragments of St Thomas's Chapel, apparently extant in the 12th century, also exist.
More information : (SO 45424081) Sugwas Court (NAT). (1)

Sugwas Court, formerly a Manor House of the Bishops of Hereford,
was entirely rebuilt in 1792. It is shown as disused or
demolished by Taylor in 1754. Incorporated in the stable are
a number of worked stones, including a late 12th century
round-headed doorway with a grooved and chamfered lable. Other
stones are incoroporated in the cellar walls of the house. Set
against the W end of a building between the stable and the
house is a slab, 6 1/4 ft long, with a chamfered under-edge
and said to have been the altar slab of the former chapel (1) of
St Thomas; (3) it has no consecration crosses. (1) The chapel
was in ruins in 1754. (2-4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1964
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : An inventory of the historical monuments in Herefordshire. Volume II: east
Source details :
Page(s) : 177
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Map of Hereford 1754 (I Tyalor)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Hist of Hereford 4 1892 164 (W H Cooke)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Chapel, Manor House
Evidence : Architectural Component, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Both ruinous in 1754
Monument End Date : 1754
Monument Start Date : 1754
Monument Type : Chapel, Manor House
Evidence : Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SO 44 SE 20
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :