HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Goodmayes Hospital

Hob Uid: 1080990
Location :
Greater London Authority
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TQ4630088600
Summary : Asylum of West Ham built between 1897-1901 to designs by Lewis Angell, the Borough Engineer. Sited to the north of Ilford, Bluehouse farm, it was built to accommodate about 600 patients and the buildings cover an area of about 10 acres, and have a width of about a quarter of a mile. Later known as Goodmayes Hospital. Parts still in use (2012) but much re-developed to accomodate King George's Hospital.
More information : A mental health asylum known as Goodmayes hospital and built as West Ham Asylum by Lewis Angell (the Borough’s Engineer 1897-1901) and opened in 1901. It was laid out along the Echelon Plan, for 600 patients to be accommodated in cottages linked by walkways. Expanded 1925-34. Re-development in 1993. Extant buildings (1990s) were; principal reception blocks and some ward buildings. (1-2)

Related to King George’s hospital and Chapter’s House psychiatric unit

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source :
Source details : http://www.countyasylums.com/mentalasylums/goodmayes01.htm
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source :
Source details :
Page(s) : 332
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Victorian
Display Date : Built between 1897-1901
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1897
Monument Type : Psychiatric Hospital, Porters Lodge, Office, Health Workers House, Laboratory, Museum, Library, Recreational Hall, Isolation Block, Semi Detached House, Water Tower, Patients Villa, Engineers House, Church, Farm, Laundry
Evidence :

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 101582
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 48 NE 39
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments :
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities :
Start Date : 1991-01-01
End Date : 1995-12-31