HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Chapel Of St John Of Jerusalem

Hob Uid: 108262
Location :
County of Herefordshire
Dinmore
Grid Ref : SO4860250277
Summary : A 14th century chapel incorporating 12th century features is all that remains of a Preceptory of Knights Hospitallers, founded before 1189 and dissolved before 1535. The chapel was restored in 1886. There was apparently a community of monks here before 1189, because a certain Brother Thomas granted lands to the Hospitallers in the reign of Henry II. After the preceptory of Garway was merged into Dinmore by 1489, this became one of the major Hospitallers Preceptories, with extensive holdings in Shropshire and Wales. The house was leased privately before 1535.
More information : (SO 48595031) Manor House on site of (NAT)
Preceptory (NR) (Knights Hospitallers) (NAT)
Chapel of St John of Jerusalem (NR) (1)

The Preceptory of the Knights of St John of Jerusalem at Dinmore was founded before 1189. There was apparently a small community of unknown order at an earlier date which was granted to the Hospitallers towards the end of the reign of Henry II. Dissolved before 1535 and granted to Sir Thomas Palmer in 1548. The 14th century chapel incorporates late 12th century work in its N wall. It formerly extended farther to the W and may have had a nave, now entirely destroyed. Two buttresses on the N side are parts of the walls of a range of buildings extending towards the N and the basement of the existing late 16th century house ('Manor House') incorporates portions of medieval work. The chapel has been in continuous use and was restored in 1886. (2-3)

SO 48605030. The remains of the Preceptory are as described by RCHM.
Published survey 25" correct. (4)

Chapel of St John of Jerusalem Late 12th century with subsequent alterations alterations, restored in 1886 by H F St John. Grade 2*. (5)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1964
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : An inventory of the historical monuments in Herefordshire. Volume II: east
Source details :
Page(s) : 67-8
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Medieval religious houses : England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 242,358
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 MHB 04-AUG-70
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE LIsted Buildings Dist of South Herefordshire 15.7.85 p1
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 300,303
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Unknown order extant 1189
Monument End Date : 1189
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Religious House
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Late C12
Monument End Date : 1199
Monument Start Date : 1167
Monument Type : Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1535
Monument Start Date : 1189
Monument Type : Hospitallers Preceptory, Hospitallers Church
Evidence : Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C14 alterations
Monument End Date : 1399
Monument Start Date : 1300
Monument Type : Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Restored
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1886
Monument Type : Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 153967
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1348966
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SO 45 SE 2
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1347356
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SO 45 SE 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1970-08-04
End Date : 1970-08-04