HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Highley

Hob Uid: 1089147
Location :
Somerset
West Somerset
Cutcombe
Grid Ref : SS9390838092
Summary : Ruins of deserted farm in Highley Copse are visible as two groups of ruinous buildings surviving mainly as low walls and banks. There is also the possible site of Waterow Mill near by. Several field gutters or leats are visible on vertical aerial photographs which may relate to the mill site.
More information : Highley is recorded in the Somerset SMR:
In 1772 it was a messuage lately called `Siderfins'; in 1842 it was a farm of 36 acres.
The SMR account also mentions a demolished mill, called `Waterow Mill' in the area (unspecified), and traces of a leat.
A nearby cottage, called `Waterleat Cottage' is also recorded (see NMR No SS 93 NW 63). (1)

Ordnance Survey mapping of 1889 (2) shows two groups of buildings at Highley. They are some 25 m apart and are connected by a trackway which curves in a `U' shape between them.

Highley Copse is now an area of private forestry. Tree planting and forestry roads have considerably confused the area. However, the two groups of buildings are identifiable at SS 9384 3824 and SS 9387 3823. The former, approached from the south by a double banked trackway, is the better preserved with walls standing to gable height, although much overgrown. The building itself stands on a rocky knoll within the main valley, and thus occupies a seemingly isolated and very unusual position. The second group of buildings are less well preserved with walls mostly surviving as low banks or stone revetments 1 m high. This group lies below the former.
Source 2 clearly shows the landscape to have been one of small areas of deciduous woodland separated by areas of poor pasture and improved ground. (3)

This area was investigated during the Brendon Hills Mapping Project. Three leats or field gutters were visible on the aerial photographs, one of which runs directly towards the site of the deserted farm and mill and may therefore be the leat described by authority (1) above. A possible structure is visible at SS 9397 3800.
(4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Somerset CC SMR 29 Sep 1986
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : 1st edition 25" mapping 1889, sheet Somerset 46.12
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : R Wilson-North 4 Nov 1997 RCHME Field Investigation
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : RAF CPE/UK/1980 3299-3300 11-APR-1947
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Settlement, Corn Mill, Watermill, Leat, Water Meadow
Evidence : Ruined Building, Conjectural Evidence, Earthwork

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Somerset)
External Cross Reference Number : 33515
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SS 93 NW 24
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1105325
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : NAR/SMR DATA EXCHANGE PILOT
Activity type : MEASURED SURVEY
Start Date : 1986-01-01
End Date : 1986-12-31
Associated Activities : RCHME: BRENDON HILLS MAPPING PROJECT, NMP
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 1998-01-01
End Date : 1998-10-01