HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Corfham Castle

Hob Uid: 111237
Location :
Shropshire
Diddlebury
Grid Ref : SO5250085000
Summary : Medieval moated castle and bailey, and water management system surviving as an earthwork. Remains of large rectangular keep with four circular angle towers. Site of private chapel and alleged site of deserted village.
More information : (SO 52508500) Corfham Castle (NR) (site of) (NAT)
Moat (NR) (1)

Corfham or Cortham Castle, a small stone double moated castle, which is noted in records of 1233 and 1299. There was also a chapel within the castle but now no masonry is visible above ground level. It consists only of a small square area surrounded by a 3ft high rampart with a 9ft scarp, encircled by a moat. On all sides except the south is an outer moat which encloses a bailey to the north. On the south-east the moats are fed by the Pye Brook, which widens to surround a small oval 9ft high mound. The moat takes an eccentric course to the west the purpose of which is obscure. (2-4)

(SO 526850) The extensive earthworks at Corfham which have previously been classified as castle remains, also mark the site of a large extinct village. (Not mentioned by Beresford in Deserted Medieval Villages 1971). (5-6)

Nothing visible on air photographs. (7)

Corfham Castle is as described, the motte bears traces of undressed stone work, but no watling could be identified. The two moats are fed from the east, although the water courses are now dry. There is no evidence of a Deserted Medieval village in the near vicinity. Published survey 25" revised. (8)

Corfham Castle, a moated castle and bailey, is situated between the River Corve and Pye Brook, upon a low ridge-end, above a shallow combe dropping away to the south-west. The site controls Corvedale to the north-east and south-west.

The castle mound measures 50.0m east-west, by 46.0m transversely, and stands to a height of 2.0m above the moat. Upon it are traces of an Edwardian stone built castle, measuring about 30.0m east-west, by 24.0m transversely. At the north-west corner are turf-covered foundations of a round tower, 7.0m in diameter, with traces of the castle west wall running south from it. On the east, is a turf-covered mound of fallen masonry along the line of the castle east wall, 5.5m wide, and 1.0m high. There are suggestions of round towers at the north-east and south-east corners, whilst at the south-west corner, turf-covered walling running south-eastwards for 5.0m from the end of the west wall indicates a larger, rectangular tower, the site of which is marked by a small quarry. There is a general scatter of broken masonry over the site. The moat encircling the castle mound is from 10.0 to 15.0m in width, and in depth is from 0.4m on the south, to 1.5m on the north. The south-west corner of the moat has been ploughed-out.

On the north, is a rectangular bailey, measuring 70.0m east-west, by 50.0m transversely. It is enclosed by a moat 16.0m in width, and in depth 3.5m externally, 3.0m internally. An inner rampart now exists only on the north side, but there are traces of it having existed on the east and west. It is 7.0m wide, and 1.2m high. 55.0m of the moat on the north side have recently been filled in from the north-west corner eastwards, and the rampart destroyed.

The castle moat was filled from a stream diverted from the Pye Brook at a point some 400.0m to the east-north-east. The stream found its own way across a meadow, encircling a low, natural mound in doing so, and entered the widened southern end of the east arm of the bailey moat. The water discharged itself at the southern end of the west arm over a low, natural scarp into a hollow, wherein until recently issued a spring from which water flowed south-westwards down the coombe. All watercourses and the moats are now dry, and under grass.
Site resurveyed at 1:2500 on MSDs. (9)

SO 5251 8498. Corfham Castle moated site and water management system 460m west of Peaton Bridge. Scheduled. (10)

A castle at Corfham is documented in 1154-5 when it was in royal hands, and in 1155-75 when it was in possession of Hugh de Perriers. (11)

Documented in the time of King John and in an inquisition of 1324. (12)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1891
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Arch Camb 116 1967, 87 99 (Hogg & King)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : Castles, conquest and charters : collected papers
Source details :
Page(s) : 107
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 12
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the Islands. Volume II : Norfolk-Yorkshire and the islands
Source details :
Page(s) : 424
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological and Historical Society
Source details :
Page(s) : XV-XVI
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 13, 1889-90
Source Number : 4
Source : The Victoria history of Shropshire: volume one
Source details : Plan (Wall & Downman)
Page(s) : 406-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Salop NL 28 1965, 2 (Gaydon & Rowley)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Salop NL 30 1966, 2-3
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Aerial photograph
Source details : APs (RAF 541/40 4358-9 22.5.48)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 MHB 08-SEP-71
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 ASP 21-MAR-80
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : English Heritage SAM Amendment 26/JUL/1995
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Castle, Moat, Watercourse, Private Chapel, Keep And Bailey Castle, Angle Tower, Deserted Settlement
Evidence : Earthwork, Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : Salop 186
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 19189
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SO 58 NW 7
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SO 58 NW 7
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1971-09-08
End Date : 1971-09-08
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SO 58 NW 7
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1980-03-21
End Date : 1980-03-21