HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Brendon Hill

Hob Uid: 1114687
Location :
Somerset
Somerset West and Taunton
Brompton Regis, Old Cleeve
Grid Ref : ST0239234329
Summary : The settlement of Brendon Hill owes its existence to 19th century mining in particular Raleigh's Cross mine, for when this opened in 1852 there were no houses nearby and the miners lodged in local farms or nearby villages. By 1854 accommodation was needed and the Brendon Hills Iron Ore Company leased Sea View House for staff use and the outbuildings for the workers. By 1863 there were four cottages at the mine itself, two terraces of six cottages known as Church Cottages and Beulah Cottages, five dwellings near the incline known as Turf Huts, the wooden huts in the goods yard of the incline to house the labourers working on the Gupworthy extension and three larger two-storey houses at Sminhays known as Somerset Terrace. All were of stone with slate roofs except for Church Cottages which were thatched. In 1865 15 more cottages were built known as Sea View Terrace and the Turf Huts were replaced by Brick Cottages. In total there were 60 cottages for 250 miners. To complete the village there was an Anglican corrugated iron church, a Bible Christian chapel also used as a school, shop, temperance house, reading room and a bank.
More information : Examination of aerial photographs revealed that the buildings of Brendon Hill village were in various states of preservation. Sea View House (ST 0250 3445), Beulah Chapel (ST 0276 3429), Temperance House (ST 0230 3438) and the Brampton House Stores (ST 0212 3415) were still extant. Beulah Cottages (ST 0264 3438), the cottages of Raleigh's Cross mine (ST 0249 3424), Sea View Terrace (ST 0236 3400), Brick Row (ST 0240 3442) which replaced Turf Huts and cottages (ST 0207 3418) near the limekilns were visible as earthworks. Church Cottages (ST 0238 3459) and the cottages (ST 0231 3438) near Temperance House were masked by trees and there was no trace on aerial photographs of the Anglican corrugated iron church at ST 0233 3447. (6-10)

The remains of Brendon Hill village survive as standing buildings, ruins or earthworks. Sea View House, originally built for the mine staff, is now used as a private residence. The original outbuildings which housed mineworkers and a small chapel have been substantially rebuilt and are used for agricultural purposes. Beulah Chapel still serves the mining community on the Brendons. The earthwork remains of Church Cottages - originally 6 cottages - lie at ST 0237 3442. Across the road are the less obvious but still discernible earthwork remains of Sea View Terrace and Brick Row, centred at ST 0239 3439, originally 15 cottages built in 1865. The foundations of 6 cottages - Beulah Cottages built in 1863 - are visible at ST 0263 3434. A focal point for the community was the former temperance hotel which became a general store in about 1870. The shop supplied just about everything and finally closed after all mining operations had ceased in 190 or 1914. The building is now a private house (ST 0230 3434) (11,12).

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : The West Somerset mineral railway and the story of the Brendon Hills iron mines
Source details :
Page(s) : 31,55-61
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : 25" 1904 58.3
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : Riley H 1999 RCHME Field Investigation
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 12
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Jones, M 1998 Notes on some of the Brendon Hills iron mines and the WSMR
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Pers comm Burrow I SCPD
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Aerial photograph
Source details : WAT AP survey 0134 SCPD
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Aerial photograph
Source details : MAM 4861 IRFC August 1981
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : RAF CPE/UK/1944 3143-3144 23-JAN-1947
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR ST0234/8 (15421/22) 15-MAY-1996
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR ST0234/11 (15448/03) 15-MAY-1996
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR ST0234/13 (15448/08) 15-MAY-1996
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR ST0234/14 (15448/06) 15-MAY-1996
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : General Store, House, Temperance Hall, Bible Christian Chapel, Settlement, Reading Room, Anglican Church, Bank (Financial), Terraced House
Evidence : Extant Building, Uncertain Evidence, Earthwork

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Somerset)
External Cross Reference Number : 33917
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : ST 03 SW 35
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 975386
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :